Friday, May 19, 2006
Sahakevo
This has been one of the most interesting days I’ve had in awhile. I got to go along with Matthew on a trip to check out the new airstrip that some of the guys from MAF are working on. We had used the story of this community (Sahakevo) as part of our support raising presentation, because way back then there was already talk of constructing this airstrip. So, for one week now there has been a crew of guys working there with the local people to level out this area and make it usable. Today we went in with a Helimission helicopter (my first time in a helicopter!) and spent a few hours there. It was so exciting to me to be in this place that I’ve heard about for so long! I told Matthew I felt like I was in the stereotypical MAF newsletter article…runway construction with minimal tools and equipment, crowds of local people gathering around to see what the foreigners are up to, etc. It was amazing. The whole experience was a good reminder about why we’re here. These people are out in the middle of nowhere, in some of the most rugged terrain I’ve seen. MAF flies regularly to Marolambo, and occasionally the freight includes something for Sahakevo. The freight then needs to be carried through the rainforest for a 2-day walk, in order to reach Sahakevo. When this airstrip is usable, it will be about a 12 minute flight between Marolambo and Sahakevo!! That just amazes me. These guys are planning on being out there for as long as June 1st, so it would be great if they can finish up the work by then. Please pray that the local people would give them the help they need and that God would continue to bless their work. Here are some pictures for you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Wow, looks amazing and interesting. I'm watching Mad About You right now and this show always makes me think of yo for some reason... = )
Hey yo, I meant think of you, not think of yo, which being the intelligent person that you are, I'm sure you figured out by now, but I just thought I'd claify.
because I love(d) that show and would watch it every day if I could. I wonder if I'd find it as amusing now as I did then?
Post a Comment