Friday, July 28, 2006

Friday Food and other small bits of lint

Today’s Friday, and so I’ll tell you about supper. I bought fish today, which is somewhat unusual. I’m not a very confident fish buyer. I never can remember what fresh fish is supposed to smell, feel or sound like. (This didn’t make any noise, and I assume that is good.) I bought a filet of rouget. (That rhymes.) I dipped it in egg and milk and then in a mixture of flour, bread crumbs, cornmeal, and spices and fried it. It turned out to be quite tasty. We also had boiled potatoes and broccoli. We all thought it was a great combination and I thought it would have been improved only by a good side of coleslaw. (Too bad I forgot about the cabbage I bought for coleslaw until I was in the middle of frying fish.)

What are you cooking/eating?

***************

Tonight the girls are playing dolls and “you’re the mom and I’m the dad and she’s the grandfather” kind of stuff. L keeps wanting me to drape a blanket over her head like she’s an Arab, and a few minutes the others ushered her out here to show me (I guess they didn’t realize I had put it that way), and told me, “Look at our fancy Uncle!” L was very pleased.

***************
Hooray for my husband being at home!!! And, another (only slightly smaller) hooray for friends coming home from furlough!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad for you that M is home and that your friends are coming home....we'll get to say that about you in a few weeks, even if it is only for a visit. =)

This morning was quite chilly! Arthur said it felt like a bean soup and cornbread day...so that's what I made. It's one of those "homey" meals that reminds me of our families whenever we have it. Good food and good memories go down good together.

Robyn said...

So you wanna know...Well, Daryl is working tonight and AC was at the neighbors for swimming and supper, so it was just me and Olivia eating together! I threw some brocolli, onions, gr pepper and celery in the pan with some garlic and olive oil, and then added leftover chicken and rice. Throw in some soy sauce and we had ourselves a nice....supper of some kind. It was actually pretty good.

Sabrina said...

My parents are still here so we had steaks on the grill (awesome!), boiled red potatoes and salad and a wonderful apple cake dessert. I've got to go, I'm getting hungry!