Friday, July 07, 2006

Friday Food

Aaahhhh, I wish you could smell what I smell. I asked Mme Pauline to cook dinner for us (this morning, but it will still be good for tonight...unless I get into it.)and she is a good cook! She makes a kind of stew and of course it is eaten over rice. The stew part is made of beef, potatoes, carrots, onions, zucchini, green beans, leeks, garlic, tomatoes and salt. It is so good. The tomatoes and beef juices combine with the (plentiful!) garlic and onions to make a sauce over it all. Yum. I'm going to learn how to make it so that I can make it on my own someday, but for now I'm happy to let her do it once in awhile...it's a good treat for me!

We are having the new MAF family over tonight. So, we'll eat the beef 'stew', rice, cucumber/tomato salad and some yet-to-be-decided dessert. Maybe baked chocolate pudding. (You know, the kind that you pour water over before it bakes and it ends up with a gooey sauce under the cake?)

What are you eating?

***********

Please tell me this: How often do you wash your hair, and what do you use for hair care? (Shampoo? Conditioner? Other? What brand?) Everyone must answer this question, ya hear? No slackers. No more hiding...I know you're out there. (Bethany.)

24 comments:

Jenni said...

Food? Keith, Mark Friesen, and Logan are going on a canoe trip today - just for one night. So Caleb and I are eating supper at the chip van! :-)

Shampoo? What is this, true confessions? I wash my hair every other day - unless I'm too busy and then, gasp, I let it go three days! I use cheap shampoo and conditioner. Usually something in those great big bottles from Wal-Mart. Right now it's Down Under Naturals. So now you know!

Anonymous said...

Aahh...I'm busted. : ) Okay, so I wash my hair about 3 times a week and currently I'm using Suave 'cause it's cheap and I like it. I used Pantene for years, but it felt like it was creating build-up on my hair.
As for my supper...hmm...I don't usually decide very far in advance, but maybe a salad with Romaine lettuce and marinated chicken breast on it. That's what I had last night, and it was YUMMY.

rachelslab said...

I wash my hair once a month with a combination of Joy dishsoap, Tide laundry detergent, and a bit of mayo (Helleman's). It really is miraculous and lasts approximately 25 days. The last 5 or 6 are a bit nasty, but if I don't always do it on the first, things get too complicated. Oh, I need to go watch "Mad About You" and continue sorting through papers that have piled up during my abcess, I mean absence (and awhile before). In all honesty, I wash my hair every day unless there is a national and/or natural disaster in which I might skip a day. I usually use Pantene 2 in 1 but sometimes I like that heat activated thermal stuff, whose exact name I can't remember at the moment, but it comes in a purple bottle. I don't like the real cheap stuff cause I can tell quite a difference in the results. Oh, I also use VO5 Oasis sometimes (not 2 in 1) - it's cheaper and smells amazing, but doens't feel quite as good as Pantene in the end. Don't even get me going about the products that follow... oh so complicated. So, where do you come up with your questions? What kind of soap do you use??

Iris said...

I have no idea what we'll eat tonight. We were thinking we might get ready quick and go camping for the weekend but we woke up to a rainy sky so i guess we'll put it off for a few days. Maybe we'll have spesghetti, salad and bread. Yeah, that sounds like a plan.

I wash my hair roughly 4 times per week. I cannot let it go more than one two days between washes because it gets so oily....unless we're camping where no one sees us. =) I, too use cheap shampoo and conditioner but I try to alternate the kinds every other time I wash to keep from having that build up Bethany mentioned. Right now I'm using a Suave shampoo/conditioner combo as well as Suave Naturals that are seperate shampoo and conditioner.

Jenni said...

Sorry, but this just seems rather odd - supper and shampoo in the same paragraphs. And then I was just thinking how we are all so compliant. Rhonda says "tell me!" and so we meekly do so! :-) Do your kids listen as well as we do??

Robyn said...

Yeah. Are we your little puppets or something? Okay, what woman can resist answering a good question like food and shampoo?!
I fed the girls tacos for supper, and Daryl and I are going to grill chicken after the kids are in bed. As for shampoo, I usually like pantene, but I was noticing a build up too! Hmmm, I see a pattern. So I'm using head&shoulders for awhile. And I wash my hair almost every day, sometimes every other day. When it's shorter I can wait longer between washes.

Anonymous said...

Alright, I guess I'll give in and answer your question. i'll feel very guilty if I don't! :) Well, we had blueberry pancakes for supper because my aunt gave us some blueberries. If I close my eyes while I'm eating them I can almost see us all out picking till we're blue in the face while Brandon and Kim play with moose droppings (sorry Kim!). I used Mary Derstine's recipe in the Red Lake Mennonite. Not real happy with how they turned out...oh well.

I wash my hair every day unless for some really odd reason I don't. Right now I'm using V05 because I got it cheap. I usually do not like cheap shampoo/conditioner, but this isn't too bad. I really like Dove products too.

Anonymous said...

I think I need to add my two cents :)

Supper tonight was pizza cuz my pops was coming to town and he loves pizza, however his car broke down so he didn't come. I also made homemade strawberry pie :)

I have oily hair so I wash it daily. It makes me feel better. I also have two types of shampoo that I switch between - a more expensive one and a cheaper one. I find it helps with fullness and avoids build up.

Iris said...

Rachel,you make me laugh out loud!! You must have been posting while I was typing cause I didn't see your comment till I was done. One that hilarious just has to be applauded! I love your humor!

Rhonda said...

well, my little puppets, oops, I meant poppets...

thanks for being so cooperative. I am having some hair issues, and thought maybe I could gain some insight from all of you.

Plus, i was curious about who all reads this. And it worked! :)

Anonymous said...

Fri. night food was Dads b-bqued chicken with veggies in tin foil also done on the grill. Very tasty. Cello, Sopena, Indy and Angel enjoyed it with us. Leftovers today!!
I have to wet my hair in order to get a brush or comb through them first thing in the morning anyway, so I just add a bit of shampoo with it. I usually leave a tiny bit of conditioner on then as it leaves my curly, and otherwise coarse hair, softer. Right now I'm trying out Infusium 23, which is probably the most expensive stuff I've ever used. However, it only takes a blob the size of a quarter to do the job. Sondra's hairdresser told me to use Windex once a month after I shampoo to take the buildup of shampoo, conditioners, gel, hairspray, etc. off my hair. I only do this about once every 3 months. Leave it on for about 5 min. Then re-shampoo, etc. Nice feeling!! I have to rotate products or, my hair starts to do wierd things as well as my scalp.

Melissa said...

Am I too late to add my supper and hair stuff too???

We went with friends of ours (Dave and Sylvia) in the city yesterday (Grand Forks) and our favorite place is Qdoba's (mexican). They make the best burritos, not greasy or prewrapped. I had the Chicken fajita burrito, with rice, chicken, grilled veggies, and salsa..mmm good! I shared it with Ryan over a plate of chips and salsa. Everything is made fresh daily, including the salsa.

I wash my hair everyday, I am using Herbal Essence this month. I too like to rotate and try different shampoos. I got the big volume pack from Sam's club last month but it smells bad, and didn't help my hair at all, so I got somthing new this month and will go back to bulk stuff next month :)

Its nice to read everyone else's stuff, made me feel a little connected hehe. you can check us out from time to time too if you want http://melissadunham.myknet.org/
(thanks for stopping in Rhon!)

rachelslab said...

c'mon BOYS! none of you wash your hair? gross!

Jenni said...

Just wondering... Where are Karla and Kim? Don't you guys hang out here anymore??

rachelslab said...

Just wondering.. where is Rhonda? Don't you hang out here anymore?

Iris said...

Rachel, she's probably in the shower trying to rise out your first posted concotion from her used to be beautiful hair. !!!

Iris said...

Uh, that should say Rinse out....

Anonymous said...

Some of us girls around here are getting together on Thurs. night for supper and we're supposed to make ethnic foods. Do you have a Malagasy recipe to share?

Anonymous said...

Ok, here's the rest of what I was going to say. The stew you were talking about sounded good... and I have fresh zucchini from my garden. How exciting.

Anonymous said...

so i shall be #20 to leave a comment. maybe no one will even notice that i commented since it's so late. oh well, i feel like i have to or i'll be looked down upon.

fri. night we were camping and we had lovely hobo dinners and chocolate banana bars. yummo!

i wash my hair everyday (except for camping or some other abnormal circumstance) mostly b/c my scalp won't put up with much less. right now i'm using aussie moist which rocks my world. before that i was using pantene, but i can't use that for too long and everyone knows why (build up? yes) i always try new kinds. happy, master?

Rhonda said...

i'm still here...just amazed at the amount of conversation going on. :)

yeah, kim, where are you?

i'm using pantene right now, and my scalp is not doing so well with that. buildup is the name of the game. i like how it makes me hair feel, but it's not good for the scalp. i want to try infusium 23 when i come 'home', because my hair is getting crispy. is it supposed to be crispy?

so, bethany, when are you going to start blogging?

thanks to everyone for the lovely time here.

rachelslab said...

So, I wonder if Panene is going to soo us (or I should say you guys, I' the only faithful supporter) for all these comments. hummmm... So, what's this, 22? Do you feel amazingly popular Rhonda? And yeah, where's Kim, no update on her blog since may 8? Did I miss something? Hi Cynthia! Still want to come see you cometime...

Anonymous said...

hey everyone... can i still comment? i have dial-up which equals not reading or commenting very much. my deepest apologies. PLEASE READ MY COMMENT!!! :) i don't remember what i ate last friday, but today i had new mexican food, which was delicious. i switch every other time (when i wash my hair, that is) from Aussie to another one... can't remember... but i usually only wash my hair every other day. afterwards i use Garnier Fructise milk smoothing stuff and Garnier mousse. i also use a hairspray... the heat activated one that i can't remember. it must be the same as rachel's. anyway, i hope that i didn't type this all in vain since i'm the 23rd comment and perhaps no one else will read this... sigh.

Jenni said...

Hi Kim, I read it.