One thing that I am so grateful for is being raised by parents that weren’t afraid to ‘make’ us dress modestly. Now that I’m the mother of 4 girls, that only becomes more and more important to me. I certainly don’t claim to have all the answers about what is appropriate for my daughters, and I most certainly won’t pretend that we’d all agree about what is modest. But, I think we’d all agree that it’s getting harder and harder to find modest clothing, both for ourselves and for our daughters. It is so important to M and I that we teach our daughters to be careful about what they are portraying through their choice of clothing. It’s definitely counter-cultural to believe that it matters what little girls wear, and I find myself feeling that stress more and more as my girls grow older. We are certainly not intimidated by the fact that we are swimming against the flow in this area, but is certainly is refreshing to find people who agree with us! Which brings me to the reason for this post…
I love to jump from one blog to another, following the links that catch my eye. One blog that I’ve visited from time to time is Everyday Mommy. (If only I was smart enough to make that into a link!) She recently wrote about the subject of modesty a few times and wrote a post (that is linked from the following graphic – thanks to Everyday Mommy for sending me the code!) urging fellow bloggers to make a choice for modesty as we shop. I am more than happy to add my voice to the many other bloggers out there who are committed to modesty. Please go and visit her blog – I think you’ll find her observations quite interesting. I’d love to hear what you think! (I believe this links to a specific post…you may want to go back in her archives a few posts and read the story about how she started thinking about this.)
9 comments:
Interesting stuff. Thanks for the post. hey - I'm waiting to hear from you about plans for Oct. = )
Interesting stuff. Thanks for the post. hey - I'm waiting to hear from you about plans for Oct. = )
sorry about that - I don't know how to delete it!
Very cool!
Very cool!
Sorry, Rachel, I couldn't help myself. :)
I agree that the fight for modesty is a fight worth fighting. So let's fight!
Wow, Sabrina, you seem to have become quite the militant little fighter! But I do agree with you! Sometimes I'm glad that I just have boys and don't have to worry about finding decent clothes for a girl. Then I think about the struggle for young men to remain pure with so much garbage out there to look at... Lord, help us all! Fight! Fight! Fight! (I feel like a cheerleader, which, by the way, my parent would have never let me be, because their skirts were way too short!)
That would be the cheerleaders skirts, not my parents'. Was that clear? It sounded weird when I read it after I posted it... It must be late.
I know I'm behind here but I just want to add my support and outrage. We have just been traveling and have again experienced shock and ....well....outrage over the way people dress. Or should I say DON'T dress? It's terrible! But you can and we are instilling in our children, both girls and boys why we should be modest and dignified in the way we dress and carry our bodies. Ok I'll be quiet now.
Post a Comment