1. I am curious about doing an advent wreath/candles this year. Does anyone know anything about that? I have yet to Google it, so that may shed some light on the subject.
2. I love the idea of making cookies with my girls, but very often it is so frustrating and not the homey, cozy, bonding experience I want it to be. What can I do to minimize the stress? One idea I have is to try to make each batch with only 2 helpers. (Did you see the air-quotes around the word helpers?) I also think we will have less variety than in years past. There will be time for more in the years to come.
3. Stocking stuffers are going to go down to the bare minimums, and it won’t be dollar store junk. This year there will be doll diapers and undershirts, a DVD or computer game, scotch tape and maybe some candy. I cannot overstate the loathing that I am beginning to feel for dollar store type toys, and the steps I am willing to take to weed them out of my house.
4. We are planning to host a Christmas talent show with a bunch of friends. (Hopefully none of them see this before the invitations are out!) C had the idea a few months ago, and it really got my attention. The invitations will invite people to bring a song, story, poem, skit or artwork that has special meaning to them at Christmas. I’m toying with the idea of also asking them to bring a food that they associate with Christmas, since there will probably be about 6-8 countries represented. Anyone have any good ideas to add?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
I was going to suggest baking with only 1 girl at a time. But 2 might be ok, too. For stocking stuffers we do things like new sacks, undies, tooth brushes, bubble bath, masking tape, stickers, etc. I,too, don't bother with cheap toys that will not last past New Year's Day. Don't have the room for one thing. I would love to come to your party. I think the food idea is a great one!
Sounds like you have it all figured out already. :-) I want to do the Advent Calendar as well. Not sure what all it involves. No insane amounts of candy this year, I guess. I don't know if I'll make any by myself or ask someone else, or just skip it... I'm thinking of hosting some sort of ladies coffee night/cookie exchange. I like having a variety of cookies but I don't like to make them all! ANd some friends are coming over on the 26th to make sugar cookies. I hope I can make them last until Christmas! I should put them in my Mother-in-laws freezer. We just started doing stocking stuffers last year, and I dont' know what to do for sure. Don't want to spend a ton! What's up with the scotch and masking tape? Just for them to play with?
Rhonda, you're really getting me in the mood for Christmas! Maybe you could mix up the cookies one night after everyone is in bed than the next day you just have to bake them. Or you could make gingerbread men one week and decorate them the next. I really don't have any great ideas, but I did want to leave a comment. I love the party idea!!
I thought Sabrina's ideas were good! Like maybe they could be involved in some part of it all, but not the whole shabang. Or I also thought of the idea of little itty bitty straight jackets - then maybe it could be more like - look - this is how cookies are made. When you are 15, you can make them too!
(I hope you know I could never be that mean)
Ooh, oooh, ooh, can I come too, can I come too? That party idea is HOO-ray. Definitely do the food thing. I seriously wish I could come!!! And how weird, I have been thinking of doing the Advent thing too, and then I saw you and Jenni both want to do it. Let's keep eachother posted. I will do some google-ing myself.
Rachel, You are so good for my health! At least if laughter really does as much good as medicine! Love you.
Iris, will you give me some new sacks for Christmas too?
Actually, socks would be good. I threw away three pairs today cuz they had holes and if there's one thing I can't abide, it's holey socks.
I like both the Advent wreath and the Advent calendar traditions. If I had kids, that would be something I would want to do with them.
so, I knew Iris is from the south (well, south of Canada, at least), but I didn't know you would say 'sacks'... :) tee hee.
Kendra, what do you know about Advent wreaths? Can you 'splain it to me?
Where do i order the straightjackets?
I meant to write SOCKS but I do have a mean southern drawl when I want to. Just ask my family....it's quite entertaining for them on long road trips.
you have the wrong idea here. i say you give the recipes to C (she can read well enough) and set the 4 girls free in the kitchen whilst you eat chocolates and watch soaps in the living room. in the end you get cookies without working for them and the girls learn lots of stuff in the kitchen. at least, that's what i would do if i had kids. duh.
Little straight jackets? well, they might not be exactly legal anymore...
Um Karla - that's a swell idea - 4 year olds working ovens and all - I hope you have kids tomorrow! You little teeze you!
Our church did an advent wreath every year. Basically, you have four purple (or 3 purple and one pink, I'm not sure why the pink one) and a white candle in the middle. The first week of Advent you light one candle, adding one every week until the white one on Christmas Day. The purple candles stand for hope, peace, joy, and love. Traditionally, a child would light the candles and then ask, "Why do we light (one, two, three, etc.) candles?" The adults would respond with a short reading/prayer that explained the significance. I think you could probably find a variety of prayers online. I think it is a neat tradition--part of my childhood that I miss a little bit here.
I think your idea of having only 2 helpers and making just a few recipies may make things a bit less stressful. I have found with my nieces that if I give each one a specific job there is less fighting and complaining. But, I also think one of the best ways to avoid frustration is to lower my expectations. I have to realize that the cookies aren't going to look nice, and I won't be able to accomplish as much in a short time, and that if this is for the kids then that is what I should focus on. Oh, and be prepared to get very dirty!
Post a Comment