Saturday, November 18, 2006

Homeschooling...

So, we have a little more than one week of Sonlight under our belts and so far it’s been a lot of fun. Of course there have been a few frustrating moments along the way, but overall it’s been great. A few things have happened that have made me feel like a real “Sonlighter”…whatever that means. One example is that I have a 5 year old who uses the word ‘onomatopoeia’ properly. That kind of cracks me up, since I’m sure that I didn’t hear that word until about grade 10. I’ve also had her begging to do more schoolwork. (The reading part, that is.) And no matter how that happens, it feels good to know that she likes what we’re doing. Another fun thing is when A and S want to listen in and ‘help’. They sometimes answer questions faster than C!

We’ve solved the problem of ‘paperwork’ by simple bribery. Oh no, I mean, incentives, of course. She gets to mark a square on a chart every time she does either math or phonics without getting too squirrelly. After 10 full squares, I’m going to give her 1000 ariary. (About 50 cents.) It’s time she learns about tithing, saving and spending anyway, so it’s a good plan all around!

I’d love to hear what you do that makes homeschooling work for you (for those of you that it applies to!), whether you use Sonlight or not. What do your littles do while you do school work? What incentives do you use? What’s the best book you’ve read on the subject?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm not even sure I ever heard of that word...let alone spell it or use it!! I guess I'll have to get off and go look it up in my trusty, well-used Webster's. =) Way to go with the bri...incentives. We impliment them around here, too. Makes life so much nicer. =) I'll be back to answer the last questions later. My kids are waiting to listen to Sat. morning stories on-line.

rachelslab said...

Wow - yous guys got smarts!! you go you wonder woman of the homeschooling world.

Anonymous said...

oh the joys of homeschooling... Never done it and don't really plan to, but I experience it to a certain degree since my nieces live right next door. THey shock and amaze me with what they are learning from my sister! Madelyn (9) especially talks like a grown-up and reads way beyond her grade level. However, the concept of a research paper was lost to her. She showed Christy and I her "rough draft", which consisted of a short three sentences and a diagram of the solar system underneath. I restrained myself from laughing out loud and congratulated her on the lovely drawing.