Monday, December 18, 2006

Something to think about...

I bought a book while we were in Canada called, “The Secret Life of Bees.” It’s not the type of book I normally read, exactly, but I do recommend it. One dialogue made quite an impression on me, so I will share part of it here.

“All this time I just figured you liked pink,” I said.
She laughed again. “You know, some things don’t matter that much, Lily. Like the color of a house. How big is that in the overall scheme of life? But lifting a person’s heart – now that matters. The whole problem with people is –“
“They don’t know what matters and what doesn’t,” I said, filling in her sentence and feeling proud of myself for doing so.
“I was gonna say, The problem is they know what matters, but they don’t choose it. You know how hard that is, Lily? I love May, but it was still so hard to choose Caribbean Pink. The hardest thing on earth is choosing what matters.”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a "huge nugget" of TRUTH! And are these the bees conversing? You may as well write us the title and author...Thanks, Mom

Anonymous said...

Profound. I'm interested in knowing more about the book too.

Rhonda said...

It's called "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd. I feel obligated to warn you that it's not a theologically sound book, but still very thought-provoking. :)