Sunday, December 24, 2006

thoughts on school




Can I just say that I love homeschooling? I really do. If I could choose, I would have nothing else to do but spend all day teaching my kids. Of course, I realize that I’m a bit spoiled by having two people working for me. I’ve also cut out a few other things that I had been involved in, so that alleviates a lot of stress. However, I think that it’s just part of what God created me to do, and it brings joy and life into my day. This past week C was learning about antonyms, alphabetical order and mammals (among other things). I just felt so thrilled to be the one teaching her about all this stuff that is part of knowing about life! Antonyms, alphabetical order and mammals aren’t really the things that make me excited on their own, but helping my child understand them is so exciting to me. She is discovering so much and I’m there to help her do it. Thank you, Lord, for making it possible!

In other school-related news, we are pretty sure that A and S won’t be going back to school after the Christmas holiday. This isn’t 100% final, but we are leaning that way. I’m relieved, looking forward to having them home more, and dreading occupying them every day. Mixed feelings, I guess. A and S seem to be very happy about it all, but at the same time they are so proud of the French they are picking up, and the things they bring home from school. I wonder if they won’t miss it a little bit, after all. I have quite a few pre-school type workbooks, which they love. There’s always play-doh, the play structure and the kiddy-pool, too. I’d love to find someone to teach them French here at home. We’ll see.

Yesterday was their Fete de Noel at school, and they all three sang and danced to varying degrees. By that I mean that one did one dance in an unenthusiastic manner, one danced and sang with moderate enthusiasm and one participated with all the enthusiasm possible (considering her Nis1y roots*). It was a cooker of a day and L didn’t enjoy being a spectator, so overall it wasn’t a morning I’d care to repeat anytime soon. On the other hand, I really do have the cutest kids in the world and love to see them perform.

*Nis1ys are capable of participating in an activity and enjoying it immensely, while those around them have no idea that they are doing more than patiently tolerating it.

No comments: