Thursday, March 22, 2007

Some serious brain lint...

How many times did you mom tell you to “think of the starving children in Africa” in an effort to get you to eat your dinner? How many times have you said something like that to your own kids? As a kid, I remember thinking that it couldn’t possibly make any difference to a starving child if I left food on my plate or not. After all, we certainly weren’t going to ship it over to them, were we?

Now, here I am, in an extremely poor country. I believe that the average income is less than $3 a day.* (Most people I know make about $4-$10 a day, if I have my numbers straight, but may feed and clothe 3-10 more people besides themselves.) I don’t even know how much income we have per day, if we were to calculate it in that way, but the fact that I don’t know makes me feel completely luxurious. In addition to the poverty, there are things such as drought and famine in the south and cyclones and flooding in the north. There isn’t too much of the island that hasn’t been affected by adverse weather in the last 6 months.

We’ve been here for 26 months now and both of us are feeling overwhelmed by the poverty we see daily. M, especially, sees extreme need as he flies around the country and visits smaller, poorer villages.

I feel that the two cultures I interact in are polar opposites. “Back home” the popular thought is that God does want to bless His children materially. Of course there’s any amount of different opinions about what that means. Does it mean that God will provide basic shelter and clothing or that He wants only the best for His family and will provide a house with luxuries and name-brand clothing? Here, I see many people who work today to pay for dinner tonight. God hasn’t let them starve, but they may be eating only enough to live and certainly not choosing a new menu every night. There is a Malagasy pastor who, along with his family, has left jobs and family to go out into the bush. They have chosen to live in a community that has no local water source. They treat the sick in their home, exposing their family to countless illnesses. They live among people who routinely eat roots as a source of hydration.

So, back to the question at the top. Does it make a difference to anyone in the world if I have food left on my plate, or if I have leftovers rotting in my refrigerator? Why would it matter to that pastor in the bush whether I have meat to eat 3 or 7 evenings a week? What lies have I believed about what my standard of living needs to be? What money do I have to give away, and is there a way to have more to give?

I’ve been thinking these questions over. And over. And over. What does God want to change in my heart by having these questions come to my mind?

Here are some thoughts and questions I have thought of, in no particular order. Also, I’m not saying that these thoughts are my final conclusion. I expect God to refine these thoughts a lot, and I know that M and I have still more talking to do. You may challenge me, rebuke me or encourage me regarding any of them. Please do.

  1. If I show a lack of conscience about what food I buy and eat, it shows a lack of sympathy towards those in the world who have less to eat than I do. True, I’m not going to ship off my leftovers to a starving child in Ethiopia, but if I make a conscious effort to eat the leftovers in my fridge (as opposed to letting them rot, and making a new meal) I have saved money which can be shared with those in need.
  2. I can choose to fast occasionally in order to remind myself of what it feels like to be hungry. A large number of people in the world go to bed hungry, or at the very least, not overfed (as I am prone to do).
  3. I can teach my children that using the phrase “I’m starving!” is absolutely unacceptable. I can teach them that there are people in the world that are starving, and that it means illness and death, not an uncomfortable feeling in the stomach because of not eating for 3 hours.
  4. I can make a choice to give used clothing and other household goods (or the proceeds from the sale of those things) to people who truly can’t afford to buy them.
  5. Our income and expenses should be reviewed on a regular basis, to make sure that we are giving the maximum amount that we can afford.
  6. I can advocate for the poor and hungry by making people aware of organizations that use donated funds to feed and otherwise help hungry people in a responsible way.**
  7. If I make impulsive purchases (which is a huge weakness of mine), I am living by ‘the lusts of the flesh’ and am misusing money that could otherwise be used to help those in need. I need to learn to take more time to think and pray about what I will buy.
  8. Is there a bigger difference than I’ve been believing between God giving me a good gift and me giving me a good gift?
  9. When I am asked for money, is it really my problem to worry about how that money will be used? How far can I carry that if I believe that it is? I can’t follow someone around till they spend the money, can I? Can I trust God to guide my heart so that I can give money freely when I feel in my heart that I ought to do so? Can I give money and truly let go of it, because after all, it was God’s money, wasn’t it? Is it callous to say that it is between God and the recipient, and my conscience is clear?
  10. My praying (and the praying I teach my children to do) should include poor and hungry people. However, I think that if I pray and have no actions, my prayers will be ‘empty’. Faith without works is dead, right?
  11. I can choose to eat less of whatever is the most expensive category of my grocery budget. If meat is costing me a lot, maybe I need to eat less meat. If I someday live in the Yukon (as M talks of) maybe I’ll need to eat less fresh fruit. The other day I made the comment, “I could never be a vegetarian.” Immediately, I felt that God reminded me, “If I asked you to be a vegetarian so that you have more money to give away, you could.” It’s probably something different for everyone. Coke, chips, ice-cream, chocolate and sugar probably take much more of my budget than I’d like to admit. What about those things we feel we “must” have in our fridge or pantry – sour cream, cream cheese, two or three kinds of cheese, various cake or dessert mixes, etc? Do we need to redefine ‘necessary’ as it relates to our cooking habits? (PLEASE do not confuse this with health issues. That is something for another time and another place.)
  12. What about my hobbies? Let’s be honest, scrapbooking isn’t cheap. Can I find ways to cut out unnecessary expenses in that area, besides the obvious step of sticking to a pre-determined limit? I think I may need to learn to borrow more reading material as opposed to thinking that I need to own every good book in the world.

*In 2005, 85% of Malagasy people lived on less than $2 a day. (I took this information from a book produced by the Malagasy government called “Madagascar Action Plan”)

**I’m still researching this, but I hope to add some links to my sidebar in the near future.

15 comments:

Jenni said...

Thanks for being a thinker and a woman of integrity, rhonda. and thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!! i'll be pondering and praying too...

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking along these lines off and on ever since our conversation the other day. Lets keep seeking God and proding each other closer to His likeness. I would like to hear more as your thoughts and actions evolve.

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your thoughts.

I smiled about the comment that you are teaching your kids that it is unacceptable to say they are starving. That's a big pet peeve of mine. There's probably a lot of kids I've babysat who think that is a favourite phrase of mine--"You are NOT starving." =)

Anonymous said...

Maybe I should clarify that people saying they are starving is my pet peeve, not you teaching your kids to not say that. Just in case you were doubting...=)

Anonymous said...

good thoughts. kirk and i talk about that and have not made many (if any) conclusions. it's definitely important to make youself think about it, and not decide to stop thinking about it b/c it's too hard. hopefully that makes sense; i'm tired.

Anonymous said...

it's good to hear your thoughts and read the others' comments. i have also been thinking along these lines lately... mostly struggling with the incredible wealth in this area that we live in... and not knowing what to do with the conflict of what i feel/know is right and what is around me. why is it such a struggle? and how do i live where i live without becoming like what i see around me? if anyone has answers i'd sure like to hear them.

Basketcollector said...

Wow that is some serious food for thought~! Thanks for putting some perspective to needs and wants....We are truly blessed here in America! Thanks for letting us see things thru your eyes!
I also struggle with the whole "luxury" of scrapbooking and "things" that I think I need to make "awesome" page....less is more and I really want to try to apply that to my life!

Wendy Yutzy said...

Hey there,
I'm back,
Wow, I thought I'd just check everyones blogs and go to bed, that was a duzzy, however you spell it.!! Anyway, lots to think about!! so many things that just become normal to us aren't to the rest of the world. Lord, help us to not be complacent!! Or neglect the things you speak to our hearts.
Anyway, I did update tonight, catch you later!

kirkandkarla said...

as the lone male commentator (so far) i would first like to say 'excellent post!' one of the few genuine and true posts that i've seen in a while. it contains understanding, whit, wisdom, and honesty. secondly, this is also an issue i've been dealing with as a result of my anthropology class at ohio state that looked at issues like poverty and aids. thirdly, the best line from the speech on my post is, '…God has a special place for the poor. The poor are where God lives. God is in the slums…God is under the rubble in the cries we hear during wartime. God, my friends, is with the poor and God is with us if we are with them.' (many may question the source, but i cannot deny that there is truth in what he says - see next point) fourthly, when our Master talked about the coming of the kingdom of God, he frequently mentioned the poor and oppressed (beautitudes, passage from luke where he is in the synagogue quoting isaiah, etc, etc.) i have been convicted as of late to no longer ignore the problem but to embrace it. it is our problem, it is my problem.

David Slabaugh said...

One question regarding #5: "Our income and expenses should be reviewed on a regular basis, to make sure that we are giving the maximum amount that we can afford."

I completely agree with you and yet I wonder how we determine that maximum amount? What is reasonable? How do we determine what we can afford?

I recently had a conversation with someone who just landed a new job in the US earning around $100,000 per year. His comment was that, "it sounds like a lot, but it also takes a lot to 'just get by'." Although I was as astounded by the remark as you probably are, it helped me realize that so many things in our lives and our choices are relative to the environment in which we live.

Rhonda said...

thanks for your feedback. it's helped me to keep on thinking about all of this, and i would appreciate more thoughts as you think of them.

kirk, i think you have hit on something very critical...it's time to stop ignoring the problem. the problem certainly isn't new, but for a lot of us, it's the first time we're noticing it.

dms, i don't know for sure that there is a percentage that works for everyone. i used to be a pretty faithful listener to Larry Burkett's radio show and he felt that a percentage (or standard of living) should be personally determined early in life. his point of view was that we need to make a conscious effort to maintain the standard of living we have decided upon, instead of letting it gradually become higher and higher without our realization.

it seems to me that most of us (even though we aren't making millions) are likely living at a much higher standard of living than we NEED to. i'm not here to be critical of this in anyone but myself, let me tell you.

also, i'm confident that God can give us direction about what our standard of living should be. ask him.

anyone else want to take a crack at that? how do you decide?

Anonymous said...

I'm sure I don't have the answer for eveyone but I'm starting to see how important it is for me to compare myself and my standard of living to those who have much less than I do, and those who don't even have what's necessary to survive. If I compare myself to those who have more, I can always justify doing whatever it is I want to do or buy whatever I want to buy.

I also believe that the Bible has a lot to say about how we should take care of those who have less. Rhonda, you mentioned that people in NA believe that God wants to bless his children materially. I'd like to add to that. I believe God gives to some of his children all the while expecting them to share with his other children. Way too often we thank him profusely and leave it at that, forgetting that we are not the end all. How many times are there people praying for God's provision and it stopped with me and never reached them due to my selfishness? I believe selfishness like that angers our heavenly Father. God help me to die to self and live for Him and others on a daily, hourly basis.

I know I must spend more time at the feet of my Father seeking his face and his heart on this matter. They aren't just "the poor" to him. They are his loved sons and daughters...created in his image just as I am. He formed them and has a plan for each one of them. Am I helping his will for them become reality? Or is my selfishness blocking his will?

rachelslab said...

Thanks for the post Rhonda - I've been meaning to comment for some time now. Just a couple thoughts - I don't know if you've read any of Ron Siders books (Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger, Just Generosity, etc.) but I really like some things he has to say.

Also, I know we each have a personal responsibility, but I also wonder about the church as a whole and their response to the problem. Sometimes I struggle with the fact that the church seems to use most of their resources to support missions (a great cause of course) and very little to help with the needs that are all around them. Just a thought. I would like to give to a church who does both. I was also wondering if you have any ideas for things that would actually help people where you're at. Obviously it's much more than just a money issue, but if someone wanted to help in a practical way, what would you suggest?

Rhonda said...

Iris, thanks for those thoughts. I think praying for our hearts in this matter is just as important as praying for those who are needy. Why? Because as I read Jesus’ words regarding the poor, I feel that the church is generally not where He would want us to be. I also totally agree with you about Him blessing us so that we can share with others. I wouldn’t be in Madagascar if there weren’t people ‘back home’ that believed in that, but I mustn’t let it stop with me. I have been so incredibly challenged by the giving mentality in our church here in Tana. Weekly we are encouraged to give with a cheerful, thankful and worshipful heart, no matter what our income. Our church has been able to bless many other ministries in the country (as well as launch ministries in the church) because of this mindset and it surely isn’t because we are a wealthy congregation. (About 60-70% of the congregation are nationals and the rest are missionaries. :)

Rachel, I must confess that M has just read “Rich Christians…” and recommended it to me, but I am having a hard time reading it. I’ll keep trying. :) I’m working on an idea for how people in NA could help with needs here in Madagascar, and I’ll keep you posted. In regards to your thoughts on the church’s responsibility, what about YOU promoting the cause of the poor to your church? :) Just an idea…

I’m surprised that no one has commented on #8. :) Any thoughts?

Anonymous said...

Yes, Rhonda, I believe there is a bigger difference than we would like to admit. (Refering to #8.) I've received gifts from both sources and they sure feel different, too. =)