Sunday, August 05, 2007

Observations on vacationing in Madagascar

We really did have a great time away, and I'm so glad we went. Morondava is a place that I had on my list of towns to visit before we move away from Madagascar. (Not that I expect that to be anytime soon, but you have to make lists like that, you know.) While we were going and coming and doing stuff I was making a list of stuff to blog about. Would you be surprised to know that I've forgotten most of it? You shouldn't be, if you are.

So, when you are having a holiday in Madagascar, you will see buckets, nets and coils in your hotel room. Those are essential things here. The buckets are filled with water and placed by the shower, because if the power goes off, so does the water. The nets are mosquito nets to keep the mosquitoes away, hopefully reducing the risk of malaria. The coils are mosquito coils, for the same purpose.

We ate shrimp at almost every meal - fried shrimp, shrimp sauteed in garlic butter, grilled shrimp and shrimp au gratin. It's all so good, but oh my goodness. Time to watch my eating habits for awhile, that's for sure.

When we were playing in the sand on the beach, we had people stopping to watch us all the time. At one point we had 4 kids, 5 ladies and a salesman all around us. I wished so badly that I could have understood what the ladies were saying. I suspect that they were amused by me playing in the sand with the kids. If I did understand Malagasy, I would have been tempted to just listen without telling them until they were done. They sure got their laughs for the day, so I'm glad we could be amusing. :) We also had quite a following at the baobabs, including kids that wanted to sell us flowers and kids with big chameleons on sticks. The idea with the chameleons is that you take their pictures and then they say 'cadeau?' which means that they expect you to pay them for taking their pictures. That can sort of aggravate me if I let it. Ah well.

I can't remember all the other interesting things I wanted to tell you. I'm sure you would have found it fascinating, had I remembered. (cough)

6 comments:

Jenni said...

yes, i'm Sure we would've since it was so interesting that you forgot it already. :-)

Jenni said...

did that sound too sarcastic? i always find what you say interesting! it's always good to hear from you. i'm glad you could take "being a curiousity" with good humor! it seems to me it could get old after awhile!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you forgot...seeing as how most of us will never vacation in Mad. Even the little details are interesting to me. =)

Anonymous said...

I had the same thought as Iris, Rhonda. Your comments are an inexpensive way for us to visit Mad. :)
Les

Anonymous said...

Take a notebook next time and jot down those thoughts! We want to hear them.

I saw your comment on Robyn's blog about us being welcome anytime (or something of that sort). I would so LOVE to take you up on that. If you stay long enough..... maybe.....

Besides, we do have to get together and work out the details of some arranged marriages don't we?

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you enjoyed Morondova! We loved it too, both times. I laughed when I saw your bright sun beach photos, since almost all of our Morondova photos are characterized by that glaring sun and squinty eyes. We also have numerous photos of the kids playing with and being observed by local kids on the beach.
Miss you...
It feels like alot longer than 3 weeks, doesn't it?
Erin