Thursday, September 20, 2007

Happy 3rd Birthday L!!







We did have a houseful - 7 adults and 8 kids. :) Good times, especially when the power went out just after we were done eating. L doesn't like being the center of attention when there are more people than just our family, and cried from embarrassment several times. She did enjoy the cake and presents, though! :) Her meal of choice was Indian Chicken (from More with Less) and rice. She and the adults liked it, at least. The other kids weren't so impressed.

I'm done with my self-imposed 3rd birthday torture. :) For C's 3rd birthday, I did a VeggieTales cake. For A and S, I did Blue from Blue's Clues. Dora was by far the hardest (I discovered that I do NOT like to draw human limbs...) and I feel that I'm ready to move on to 9x13 cakes left in the pan, iced and liberally decorated with sprinkles. Amen.

Just wanted to share this beauty. It'll never see a scrapbook, that's for sure. :)

Just a few things I want to write down about L for my own records...
-she loves to play rock, paper, scissors like her sisters. She doesn't understand it all, though, and will change her hand after she sees what the other person throws.
-when we were regularly doing 'happiest and saddest times' at the supper table, she would always say, "Well, I had two happiest times and two saddest times today." Then she would proceed to name events from days or even weeks ago.
-she wants to go to school badly, but won't even go to Sunday school yet.
-she is just now getting her 2-yr molars.
-she is potty-trained except for nighttime.

8 comments:

Rhonda said...

just wanted to clarify that her birthday is actually the 21st, but M will be gone before she wakes up tomorrow and comes back sat. night.

today is robyn's birthday, though, so happy birthday robyn!!

Anonymous said...

And don't forget Graham! =) Wow, Rhonda. Your baby is growing up. Guess that means mine will too in a few months. =(

I like the "happiest/saddest" idea for supper time conversation. Care if I steal it? (Not that you could do anything about it even if you did. Hehehehe.)

Yay for Indian Chicken and all the kids who love great varieties of food!!! I love that cookbook and Extending the Table!

Anonymous said...

Gabriel will be five on the 21st! Happy Birthday L!

Jenni said...

happy birthday!! when i saw the pictures, I thought i missed it. arrrgh. the little rant about the cakes made me smile and commiserate. sometimes i wish i hadn't spent so much time in a bakery watching cool cakes being made by the likes of people like you, my mother, rachel, etc. then i'd be content to do the sprinkles thing too!!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it's been 3 years since you called me to tell me L had arrived! One thing I remember about that phone call is you told me you had already given her a good lecture about waiting 10 days past her due date to finally show up.

Four potty-trained kids. . .what an accomplishment!

Robyn said...

Happy Birthday L!
That cake is really amazing! I wish you were around to do them for my kids. Maybe someday! My kids still like to do the happiest time of day thing. Speaking of the kids, we really gotta get them talking on skype soon. Maybe this weekend?

rachelslab said...

I smell like smoke. (it seemed like all the comments related to your post were already stated cause I was so late) great pictures, cute kid, she looks so grown up! nice cake, you're amazing, nice sleepy picture. = )

Anonymous said...

Hey Rhonda.....
I was admiring Dora's limbs....I have decided from experience that veggie tales is definitely one of the easier cakes to do! Someone thought ahead - they have no arms! When I tried Eeyore for Jamie, he ended up looking like a pile of purple/gray goop. His legs ran into his chin and his belly....in 20 years we probably won't even know what it is when we look at pics. (I don't scrapbook yet - can you tell?) I felt better when I read the comments and realized you aren't just winging this...you've had some experience!
Les