Friday, October 05, 2007

Making Mexican in Madagascar

Yesterday we had guests coming for dinner and I was so hungry for Mexican food that I decided to be less selfish and cook it for guests. (It's labour-intensive and I'm usually too selfish to serve it to guests, to be honest!) M had the day off yesterday, though, and he and the girls helped with the tortillas, so it wasn't too bad. And, if I may say so, the results were super tasty. The reason I decided to post these pictures is that in Canada I would buy tortillas, refried beans and salsa and think that tacos were an easy "I'm-too-tired-to-cook" meal! Ha. Not here.

M and the girls rolling out tortillas.


The girls took turns bringing them to me to fry.


One in the pan. I always have to resist the temptation to start eating them right then and there.


Homemade salsa. I finally found some peppers with some kick, so this was slightly more than tomato salad. :) All fresh and so good.


The refried beans before they were refried. They were more appealing after they were cooked, and either way they still taste better than they look, if you ask me.

6 comments:

Rhonda said...

oops. i forgot to say that we also had taco meat (with one of my many imported seasoning packets from Canada), sour cream (which is really creme fraiche), tabasco sauce, lettuce (which i am never confident about...can i really clean it well enough?), and cheese. :)

Anonymous said...

It looks very yummy! I have tried my hand at making tortillas but you're right...it's much easier to buy them. Sorry for you. I've also made refried beans several times. I think they are better than the boughten ones. Way to go with being unselfish! And recruiting help too. =)

Anonymous said...

Holy Smolies, that looks like a lot of work. I definitely would have ordered pizza.

Jenni said...

very delicious pictures! and cute little helpers. (the big helper is pretty handsome too.)

Anonymous said...

Hey... Now Daryl can say that you are truly mexican :) because I can't make flour tortillas and he still call me mexican :)

Anonymous said...

way to go, Rhonda! I tried making tortillas here once...they were semi good. Hannah has just started a "business" of making tortillas....they cost 20 lek each...about 25 cents. So I've enjoyed them lots...gotta support your student, you know. =) Question for you...does your blender work? It looks exactly like Naomi's which is sitting on my counter right now. I tried to blend pumpkin in it yesterday and it hardly did anything for it. I was frustrated! Company coming for veggie chowder and cornbread and pumpkin pie tonight. We're also going to have a cooking/baking lesson this evening. One of the ones coming wanted to learn how to make cookies, muffins, etc. She's also going to help make supper. =)