Thursday, October 25, 2007
Opinions, please
We have taught our children to pray to Jesus and to ask Jesus for things. I think many parents do the same, but I'm now wondering what Biblical basis there is for this as opposed to teaching our children to pray to the Father in Jesus' name. I'm planning on studying this and looking for what the Bible has to say about it, but wanted to ask you to contribute your thoughts. Do any scriptures on this spring to mind? How do you pray and how have you taught your children to pray?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hmmm. Good thoughts and valid considerations. I think maybe we teach our children to pray to Jesus when they are little because the whole thing of a Heavenly Father and an eartly father may be too confusing to a small mind. On the other hand we probably do too simply because that is the way we were taught.
I have, in the last few years, been praying often that God would teach me how to pray and paying closer attention to prayers in the Bible. Lately, I find myself in my prayer times addressing each of the Godhead at different points and on different topics, although they are all one and I don't believe it's wrong to address only one or only Jesus, as our children tend to do.
Incidentaly, as a child at our house I remember praying to God. Arthur's family always prayed to Jesus. I thought it was sorta funny to hear an adult start a prayer in such a "childish" way but I guess I've gotten used to hearing it all ways now. I usually address my Father first.
I don't think there is any particular "magic" or extra power that comes from using the specific words "in Jesus' name" at the end of our prayers. In fact I hardly say them at all. I remember when the light went on for me concerning that phrase. I believe it means two things. #1 it is only because of Jesus and what he has done for me by living, dying and paying for my sins that I can come to the Father through prayer. #2 My prayers should be such that Jesus himself would or could pray them. #3 My prayers should be for the ultimate glory of Jesus and the rest of the Godhead.
If I send Collin to Andrea with a message or an order, I often tell him (or whoever happens to be the messenger) to "tell them I (Mommy) said so." In other words he goes to them in my name. It's my authority that makes the words carry weight, not his. He has none. And he better never tell them something "in my name" that I didn't or wouldn't say.
So every now and then I consider whether Jesus would pray the way I do. Would he ask for the same things I ask for? Would he have the same attitudes? I don't believe we can really pray "in Jesus' name" with the wrong attitudes and desires, whether we use the phrase or not.
Sometimes I sit and ponder what kinds of things Jesus prays for me. For our family. For the people of Poplar Hill. Etc. The Bible says that he assended to heaven and now interceeds for us before the throne of God. Do I pray for the same things he does? Are the same things important to me that are important to him?
Goodness. Sorry for writing a whole post in your comments. That all said, I think prayer is one of the things I want to study/disscuss with my kids in the near future. Refer to my recent "School" post for reference if necessary. =)
Good thoughts. I think we teach our kids that because it's more personal, in some ways. But I agree, I think we pray to all 3 in the Godhead at different times. And our kids will pick up on that by listening and being taught. But I can't think of any scriptures offhand. It makes me want to research a bit, so thank you :-)
Post a Comment