Saturday, May 10, 2008

Saturday

It's after 8:00 and M is just settling the last girl into bed. I'm sitting here thinking that A. it's late for our kids and B. how times have changed!

This morning a good friend of mine hosted a ladies' brunch for the ladies of the missionary community. (just realized that you'll want names, Erin...it was Tammy) Another friend of mine, Monica, is leaving Mada soon, so Tammy asked her to speak to us, and she shared really, truly from her heart. It was so good for me to hear her triumphs and struggles during her time here. To see her laughter and tears as she spoke of things that have made me laugh and cry since I live here. Isn't it always so comforting to know you're not alone?

One quote from Monica's talk, and I know it's not original with her: God is more interested in our character than our comfort. He's more interested in our holiness than our happiness.

Mr Frank's son called late this morning saying that Mr Frank is at home now and do we want to come for a visit. So after lunch M and I went over there for about 20 minutes. He's looking as good as I'd expect him to, but still very weak and, well, old. I don't expect to see him out of bed for several weeks, and am becoming more certain that his working days are over. He thanked us repeatedly for our help (and the help sent from Canada!) and told us that he's certain he'd be dead if not for that money. Also, and most importantly, M asked him a few questions about if he is ready for death and meeting God. Thankfully, he seems very certain that he is ready for eternity.

When we got home, I sat in the driveway talking with Jocelyn for over an hour. The guys had gone to play tennis and it was nice to just sit and be neighbourly. (Ignoring the fact that I really should have been bathing my kids and vacuuming my bedroom.)

After supper and baths tonight, the 3 youngest girls sat down to watch hockey with M. S is really interested in hockey right now and says that she will "be a girl that plays hockey" someday. Her criteria for choosing a team is that she wants to play for a team with red jerseys. :)

I think that we're going out for lunch tomorrow after church to celebrate Mother's Day. Malagasy Mother's Day isn't until next week? the week after? I don't know, but I'm sure not going to argue with not cooking tomorrow. :)

M is taking the next week off and we're just going to hang out around here and be domestic. Or something. But I'm sure I'll like it. :) One of the biggest things on our to-do list is making a list of maintenance-y things that need to be done around the house so that we can ask our landlord to decide who's responsible for each item.

I'm this close to ordering our Sonlight books for the next 2 years. It seems like a big step, so I'm making sure I really know what to order before I do it.

It's now 8:30 and I'm thinking that my pajamas and a good book is sounding pretty good. G'night and happy Mother's Day to all you great mothers out there!

5 comments:

Sabrina said...

sounds like a good Saturday. enjoy your book and happy mother's day to you too.

Anonymous said...

happy mother's day!

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day to you, too!

Jenni said...

I'm so glad you had a good Sat. i hope Sun. was just as good! i'm glad to hear about mr. frank!

Anonymous said...

thanks for making special notes so I would know exactly what & who was going on!
smile.

here's a blog you should check out
you blog monster. This one belongs to my cuz.

http://sherrie-cardcreme.blogspot.com/
Erin