Friday, May 02, 2008

A stranger in your midst

I think something like this is usually known as a guest poster. However, since, if my plan works, Rhonda will not be aware of me posting this until after the deed is done, I think this might be an intruder post.

OK, as some of you may remember from the dark recesses of your memories, today marks 10 years since Rhonda and I got married. I, of course, offered her many exotic and expensive options for an anniversary gift, but what she said she wanted was a love letter from me. (part of that last sentence may be slightly misleading) So in thinking about what I wanted to do for her, I remembered that she has been wanting me to comment on her blog. I don’t think this really would work as a comment on any of her posts, so instead, I’ll try to get this a post of its own.

So, without further ado, and in no particular order, here is a non-exhaustive list of things I love about my wife.

1. She still likes to be with me after 10 years.

2. She has organized a weekend away for us without the kids for this weekend.

3. She is a really great cook. Even the kids are starting to agree. (they can be a bit picky at times, not me though)

4. She tries hard to keep in touch with people in North America.

5. She tries hard to keep in touch with people in Madagascar.

6. She often feels a little bit torn trying to keep #4 and #5 at the same time.

7. She is very disciplined in having her morning quiet times.

8. Her being disciplined in her quiet times challenges me to do the same.

9. She is trying to start an exercise program.

10. She encouraged me to start playing tennis. (not sure if she’s always happy about that one anymore, but my backhand has improved.)

11. She always forgives me.

12. She is not afraid to admit when she is wrong.

13. She is not afraid to tell me when she thinks I am wrong. (it sometimes takes me a day or two to love her for that one.)

14. She hounds me when I’m on overnights in places that have cell phone coverage.

15. She is frugal.

16. She is generous.

17. She doesn’t really like to shop for no reason.

18. She only asks me go to fabric stores if she really wants my opinion, not just to carry stuff.

19. She likes hot dog roasts.

20. She’s a closet pyromaniac. (Although she didn’t really like when I used gasoline to get the wet wood to burn in our fireplace. Something about a small fireball and the ensuing smoke stain on the outside of the fireplace.)

21. She tries hard to be a good Mom.

22. She is doing a good job of homeschooling.

23. Last Saturday, she baked something with each one of the girls.

24. She’s pretty.

25. She makes chocolate chip cookies.

26. She has done an admirable job of adjusting to life in Madagascar.

27. Her smile.

28. I love when she gets the giggles and laughs so hard she cries.

29. She thinks she’s going to live to be 90 something.

30. She tries her best to get me to eat and act healthy enough to live to be 90 something with her.

31. She still likes to be with me after 10 years.

32. She likes to read some of the same kinds of books as me.

33. She has willingly given up or limited things that she enjoys doing in order to have more time for our kids.

34. She’s a good kisser.

35. She has taken on and excelled at the challenges of being an employer.

36. She is compassionate to the needs she sees around her.

37. She is discerning about how best to help people.

38. She learned to drive from the right side.

39. She likes pine trees and lakes.

40. She still likes to hold my hand.

41. She gives good gifts.

42. She likes picnics.

43. She likes learning new things.

44. She made rhubarb pie for supper last night.

45. She didn’t even put nuts in the top crust because she knows I don’t like them.

46. She puts mushrooms on pizza because I like them.

47. She still laughs at my corny jokes. (ok, not always, but often enough)

48. She’s happy to see me when I come home after being gone for a couple days.

49. She plays hide and seek with our girls.

50. She still likes to be with me after 10 years.

Well, I think that will do for now. There are some other things I could write, but I don’t want Rachel to blush.

I love you Rhonda.

Matthew

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Way to go Matthew! So glad you like my girl. Enjoy your weekend.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You sure know how to set up a very good weekend! We agree with you on every point!

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful Matthew. I'm sure you will have a wonderful weekend. And I'm sure that one earned you another good kiss. =) So happy to be your friends and I am still so honoured that you asked me to be in your wedding 1o years ago. Have a good weekend.

Anonymous said...

you're sneaky! :) one thing you forgot was to hand me the kleenex before i read it...other than that, i think it's one of the most romantic things you've ever done. can't wait to see how the next 10 years go. love you tons!

Rita said...

How am I supposed to write with tears in my eyes? That's what reading this did for me. Thank-you Matthew, for loving Rhonda and for being a great son-in-law! May God bless you 2 with many more wonderful years together.

Jose said...

Well Matthew! Congratulations in your 10YEARS!! Have a great weekend :)
PS. I better start planning for my anniversary :)

Jenni said...

That was wonderful, Matthew! I think you just earned the "Husband of the Month (or Year?)" award! Love you both and Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

i'm impressed. And disgusted. Now what am I supposed to do?
great job

rachelslab said...

No comment on the blushing remark, but it did make me want to cry. Way to go Matthew! And very very very happy 10th you guys! That just does not seem like 10 years ago...

Anonymous said...

WOW!! I was thinking maybe I should copy/paste a snippet from an IM conversation for some reality here! ;-) (two of you know what I'm talking about the rest can wonder) Happy 10th you two. Enjoy your time together.

Anonymous said...

sweet!
thoughtful!
wonderful!

Happy Anniversary, you two
Erin & Kevin

elise said...

Wow! I think that'll get you another good 10 years! Congratulations on the first 10!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Matthew! I needed a kleenex also, my mind went way back to the pudding in the face at the edge of the lake?!?! Congradulations and Blessing for the next 10
Twila H.

Wendy Yutzy said...

awe!......