Monday, February 09, 2009

Monday, Monday

Saturday: I enjoyed a relaxing, productive day at home with my family. Matthew built shelves for our storage room, I dealt with some clutter and scrapbooked a little bit, the kids played wedding most of the day. It was in some ways such a great day, but in the back of our minds we were always wondering, "What's going on in town?" "Is what we hear true?" "How much worse are things going to get?" "Will we be at home all of the coming week?"

It was an awful day in town. I am starting to feel very impatient with both sides of the conflict. Over and over I have to remind myself that things will not and cannot be handled like politics in my culture. I don't know the unwritten rules, the unwritten way things go here. It's so easy for me to see it all as being so unnecessary and so very stupid.

Sunday: We went to church and as always, I find church to be such a critical part of my week. It gives me a bigger picture to look at, both spiritually and physically. It often is so helpful for me to process my past week as I worship, and to look forward to the coming week remembering that God is big. Very, very big. And being with other believers gives me a reminder that the world is bigger than my little space. There's a lot going on and it's not all about me. :)

After church we were invited to have lunch with friends. Our friend Kevin is here visiting from Canada, so he went with us. It was so good to just sit around, talking and laughing a lot. The only downside that I could see was that Kevin didn't bring his wife along. :( C'est la vie. (Kevin and Erin used to live here, and we did tons of stuff together.)

Sunday evening was the missionary community get-together, and again, it was so good to get glimpses of the bigger picture.

Monday: That's today. So far, we've had a normal day. One exception is that Larissa didn't go to school today. The hope is that school will reopen tomorrow, and the week will go on as planned in that regard. We shall see.

Matthew is going away from tomorrow till Wednesday. Just one overnight...piece of cake. :) When he comes back, Kevin will be staying with us for a couple of nights.

And now, I need to get off the computer and wipe a bum, check up on schoolwork, think about what's for lunch and bake some bread. Good, solid, normal stuff. :)

3 comments:

Robyn said...

It's sounding more positive, at least (?). We're still praying for peace...Glad you're at least able to get out. Baking bread? Did you find flour that works now? Where did you find it and what is it like? Just curious.

Sabrina said...

I hope you have a great week. Do your girls understand what is going on? Do they deal with fear?

rachelslab said...

Thanks for the update. still praying for you guys as well.