Wednesday, March 18, 2009

So sad.

The president of Madagascar resigned yesterday and the opposition leader is taking power. This is not the result that I imagined would come from this crisis. It may not be as bad as I feel it is - I'm no political analyst. But when I read this, it makes me sad.

We are waiting to have our visas renewed, as well as the NGO agreement for MAF. I have many questions about how that will be done in the offices of a government that still seems to be, um, shall we say, a bit unorganized. We shall see.

Friends are continuing to leave on a regular basis. Not all for evacuation reasons, necessarily, but if a good reason to leave comes up, most of us are ready to take it! Unfortunately, the decision has been made for the Reach team to leave, which makes me very sad. (I am a chicken, and haven't told the girls about this yet. There will be much wailing and protesting when this news breaks in our household.)

In happier news: We spent a few hours at the pool yesterday, which was a welcome piece of normal life. We still have lots of milk and toilet paper, and I have no reason to think that the shops will close. Even though I'm getting a little bit of cabin fever, we continue to feel very safe in our compound. We still have cell phone coverage. We still have (as-reliable-as-it-ever-was) internet service. I know that we have so many people praying for Madagascar and for us, and it is so encouraging.

Keep on praying, please. It isn't over yet.

6 comments:

Rita said...

y*hoo news has your country covered with the latest! but your link was a totally different perspective. our prayers will continue for all.love, mom

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear all this, Rhonda. I'm keep praying.

Anonymous said...

Grr...proofread your comment, Bethany! :(

Robyn said...

Yeah, it's weird how depending on what you listen to it can either sound positive or negative...I'm
anxious to skype you. Sorry I missed you today.

rachelslab said...

Thanks for the updates. Thinking about you guys a lot today and praying for you.

Anonymous said...

I'm praying there WON"T be civil war!!!!!! And for peace to reign in your hearts and minds.