Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Clearly, I drove to the office...

We’re in Uganda! It seems a bit surreal, since the view out of my window could easily be in Madagascar.

Monday morning we left Nairobi at about 11, and flew out over the Rift Valley, then over Lake Victoria and to Entebbe. Landing at Entebbe was very cool...the airport is on a peninsula and also it’s just one of those places that I’ve heard about and never imagined I’d get to be at. We went to get our Ugandan visas there, and then we had a 5 minute flight to Kijjansi, where MAF is based.

We were welcomed very warmly and taken to our house. Our house is in a small compound with 2 other houses, and is quite a bit smaller than our house in Madagascar. (Actually, I don’t know how much smaller it is, but most rooms seem much smaller.) The garden is lovely (Matthew proofread this for me and told me that you don’t know what a garden is...the yard.), and the girls ran around playing very happily. I feel very grateful for all of the hard work that was put into getting a house ready for us on such short notice (about 5 days!). The house was all ready for us, including being stocked with bread, eggs, jam, cereal, milk and fruit. Also, there were notes of welcome attached to baked goods from about 5 families!

MAF tradition (worldwide, as far as I know) is for all visitors to be put on “hospitality.” For instance, this week we have 4 dinner invitations and one lunch invitation. (And someone told all of these people when their day is...they are all very gracious, but it’s not as though it just happens.) This is the first time in my 4 years of MAF life that I’m on the receiving end of hospitality. It’s been very interesting. :-) We’ve eaten a lot of good food so far. (The black olive/rosemary/parmesan scones being at the top of my list of favourites!) I’m afraid that I might not be losing weight here like I hoped I might. :-)

This MAF team is more than double the size of our team in Mada. There are Dutch, English, Scottish, South African, Swiss, Swedish, German, Chinese, Americans and Canadians here. There are lots of kids, too, including 3 families that have adopted (or are in the process) Ugandan children.

Driving here scares the crap out of me. They drive on the left side, and the roads confuse me for some reason. Matthew sees no reason for them to be so confusing, but I just find them to all look the same so far. :-) I probably will start at some point, but I’m not in a hurry.

We did go shopping to one small store and I’m very excited because even in a small store I found brown sugar (beautiful, soft, dark brown sugar that I will take bags and bags of back to Mada!). One thing that makes shopping here a lot easier is that the Ugandan shilling is worth almost the same amount as the Malagasy ariary.

Nights here seem very loud to me. We can hear the general neighbourhood chatter and socializing, dogs barking, some kind of frogs or insects that don’t want to take a break, a mosque that I haven’t seen yet and of course, birds. It hasn’t caused us to lose a lot of sleep yet, since we are still catching up from the hectic last week.

The first afternoon we were here was quite warm. It rained during the night and now it’s been very comfortable and even quite cool in the mornings. The only downside to that is that our hot water in the bathrooms hasn’t been working. :-( Right now there is a man here trying to fix them. (The water is heated in a small electric heater right on the shower head...supposedly.)

Today a young lady is here to help out with the laundry and other cleaning. Because MAF housing doesn’t include a washing machine, and we obviously aren’t going to buy one for such a short time, she is doing our laundry by hand! She seems to be a very hard and thorough worker, and so pleasant. It’s strange for me to be talking to an employee in English and gives me a funny feeling. I’m sure I’ll start speaking French to her some day. :-) Today I also felt so free, for lack of a better word. It felt so funny to have someone else working on the housework, while I just did schoolwork with the girls. That is somewhat normal since I’m used to having Mme Pauline around, but here it’s also the fact that I have nothing, really NOTHING else to do! No Bible study, no grocery shopping, no school drives, no random errands, no long chats with Mme Pauline or anyone else, or anything. I almost felt like I didn’t have the attention span to do schoolwork as long as we could today! I’m not used to so much uninterrupted time. :-)

I’ve been working on this blog entry for several days now, waiting for when I have a chance to get to the MAF office and use the internet there. The MAF offices here aren’t at the hangar, since the hangar is about a 20-30 minute drive away. Matthew has been gone today, tagging along on a flight to start to get a feel for how things are done here. If he gets back before it’s too late, I might be brave enough to try driving over to the office. We’ll see if my addiction to the internet is stronger than my fear of driving here. Ha ha.

Photos will come another day...

11 comments:

Robyn said...

OH YAY! I'm so glad to hear all of this from you! Thanks for all the little details - I'm so happy people are taking care of you :-) I read this aloud to the girls and they are giggling that you said, "...scares the crap out of me". :-)
I know it may be awhile, but I will just be the first one to bug you for pictures - when you have time! (It's probably a pain since you have to do it at the office, but it will be worth it for me. Trust me.)

rachelslab said...

So good to hear from you! Sounds like such an adventure! So, will you eventually have to go grocery shopping? Just wondering... I do not envy your driving over there at all! And with no Lucy...

Jenni said...

ah, news, wonderful news! it's so good to hear from you. it feels so strange to think of you being in a different country. i'm glad it's going well. maybe this will be a really restful time for you without all of your usual commitments. keep the posts coming!

Vicki said...

Wow! What a great, newsy post! Thanks for taking the time to record even the little details. I love hearing it all! Enjoy the extra time while you have it. . .we all know it won't last forever!

Rita said...

Thanks! Nice to chat too--I hope all of you can continue your adjustment to life there really well. God is Good!

Glenda said...

So good to catch up on what's happening in your lives. I was gone a week and came back to find out you were moving for a few months, etc. What fun to read all about it...and I agree with the others....love all the details! And can't wait to see pictures. =) May God be close to you through this time.

Paula said...

Enjoyed the news!!! You and Tammy are both struggling with the driving issues! :O) I will say -- that's one thing the French got right...driving on the right side of the road. :O) Tell the girls we said hello. Have fun in Africa. *wink*

Rita said...

can you post the scone recipe, please? thanks, mom

Josh and Jocelyn R. Plett said...

hokey bonkers! no washing machine?! egad. That lady'll have her work cut out for her. :-D LOL. Isnt it kind of neat that we're all out and about in new places? strange how i used to read your blog even though i lived two doors down and now we live in different countries.

I'm envious of the brown sugar. I just made Naomi's slice and had to use some molasses to make my sugar brown. but at least i can get molasses here. Enjoy your free time! I cant imagine you being able to chat outside on the front drive for an indefinite amount of time and not have to say "i have to go inside and do something useful" :-D LOL. Hopefully you dont get bored of it!

Miss you guys!
Jocelyn for the R.Plett's

iris said...

Oh wow!! So good to hear all of this! And yay for you for driving to the office. I'm glad the internet hook is stronger than fear. =) It's so odd to me to think of you going to mainland Africa to find things like brown sugar. I guess I just have this strange (who knows where it came from) idea that if you're in Africa you just have to do without most things and have only the basic bare necesities. Who'da thunk.

ribbit98 said...

I giggled too when you said, "...scares the crap out of me!"