Thursday, April 09, 2009

Guest Blogger: My Flight With Daddy







Dictated by Caitlyn 08-04-09

This morning I went flying with Daddy. It was fun and I got to see the Nile River. It’s long. We stopped lots of times, and some of them were interesting. I only got out one time and I saw lots of flat land that was dirt. And it had a lot of little sticks and plants with thorns coming out of it. And another time I stayed in the airplane while Daddy got out to help the people who were going to be dropped off there. There was a huge rock right beside the runway. Around the rock on one side was lots of houses which were a hospital. And on the other side a wall went around the rock and then came around and went around the houses and it had a door at the front beside the airplane. The lady who was sitting behind me told me that the houses were a hospital and in front of the hospital outside of the wall used to be a refugee camp. The refugees slept in the hospital and the people who ran the hospital built a wall around it so that the refugees could be safe from a bunch of rebels. When we got off the airplane at the airport in Kampala, Daddy got off and talked to the people who were being dropped off there and then helped me unbuckle my seatbelt and he reached his arms up and I leaned over and jumped into them. Then he did some papers and stuff and then he called Mommy on his telephone and gave it to me so I could talk to her. And then while we were talking I told Mommy that we saw a couple of airplanes taking off after we landed and she said that was cool. I talked to her a really long time and then Daddy took my picture beside the airplane and then I hung up and we drove home. I took lots of pictures while we were on the airplane. And I took two pictures of some kids who saw me when we stopped one time, and Daddy wanted me to take pictures of them. Lots of times on the airplane I was really hot, so Daddy had to keep turning the air condition on. I don’t know why he didn’t keep it on always. I think it was because we kept stopping always right after I asked him to turn it on. Mommy gave me a hat to wear, if it was hot. But I didn’t wear it except after we landed at the airport in Kampala, because I always stayed in the airplane. Mom said she bought that hat for a camping trip when she was 15 or 16 so it’s really old. There are snaps on it and they don’t work. Every time we stopped at a different runway, different people were being picked up. Only sometimes people were being dropped off. One time I thought we were going to get too many people.

10 comments:

Rita said...

Thank-you, Caitlyn for the very interesting letter about your trip. What an adventure you had. I hope your mom will save this letter for when you're older. Did those kids speak English like they do in the capital city? Or didn't you talk to them? You look very grown up in the picture beside the plane.

Bethany said...

Wow - that was great, Caitlyn! I think you should write guest posts more often. : ) Have a great day!

rachelslab said...

Very nice post Caitlyn - thanks for the pictures and the news about your trip. It sounded like a lot of fun and you got to learn some new things as well, eh? = )

angie said...

Wow, Caitlyn, what in interesting experience you had! Thank you so much for telling us all about it. It sounds like you learned a lot of things. I'm going to read it to my boys when they come in from playing outside. I know they will think it's all very interesting and they will probably wish to have a similar experience some day!

Anonymous said...

You're lucky to see the Nile River. The only two countries I've been in are Canada and the United States. How many countries have you been in?

Caleb

karla said...

sounds like a lot of fun, caitlyn! can you imagine how old your mom's hat is?!? dinosaurs were probably still roaming the earth when she first bought it.

iris said...

What an exciting "field trip" you had! Only it wasn't a field trip....it was real life for you! You are very priveleged to be having these experiences that most of us only dream about. =) I loved all the pictures you had to go with the story...very interesting!

Yeah, that hat of your mom's? I saw it on more than one canoe trip when she was MUCH younger. (I won't mention that I was one of the sponsers and therefore older than her apparent ancient age.)

My word verification is "bitill" as in "bye till next time!"

MJ said...

Caitlyn
Just wanted to tell you...You did such a wonderful job sharing with us about your trip with your daddy. The pictures are Great!

Robyn said...

Sounds fun! The hat part was funny. It's so cool that you got to see the Nile River!
-from Anna-Christina and Olivia

Anonymous said...

Caitlyn, I loved the story and pictures,I liked the one of you by the plane,and the story of the hat it must be about 25 years old eh?
Twila