I’m really feeling frustrated by the whole idea of fashion. Why is it such a strong force? Personally, I sort of rebel at the idea of someone deciding what I ought to wear. Can’t I just wear what is comfortable to me? On the flip side, I want to fit in at least a little bit. It would be nice to think that my clothes are at least slightly ‘what everyone else is wearing’. (Too bad that the “code” changes depending on where I am! How can I keep up with that??)
It’s also getting harder to find clothing that meets my criteria for modesty and practicality. Why does everything seem to be designed to show off parts of me that I’d rather not show off? (Whether that’s because I think it’s not modest for anyone, or because I’m pretty conservative that way.) And, even if these clothing look okay when I’m trying them on in a dressing room at the store, will they stand the “toddler test”? (The “toddler test” is this: hold a wiggling toddler while wearing the piece of clothing in question. Does the clothing stay where you want it to? :-) There’s nothing that can make me feel more self-conscious than having my whole outfit rearranged by a squirming kid in church.)
Trying to dress myself by what is in style, what colors are “my” colors, what lines are “my” lines, and all that…it stresses me out. I’m not a naturally stylish person, by any stretch of the imagination, and trying to do that produces a feeling I can only call bondage. When I go shopping and buy something I like…just because I like it…that makes me feel free.
This is a very big issue to me as a mother of four girls. What am I going to teach them through my words? What am I going to teach them through my actions? Will the two match up?
Just my thoughts for the day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
i hear you, except for the toddler part, of course. but i can imagine. i like feeling comfortable and modest and fashionable all at the same time, but it's not always possible. i wish i could hire someone to pick out my clothes every day, but i don't see that happening. also, i don't really like shopping for clothes! there, i said it.
did I leave that part out? (about not liking clothes shopping) i'm not a typical shopaholic woman. if i have money to spend, fine. otherwise, boooorrrriiinnggg. (i'm talking about clothes...scrapbooking stuff is a different story!)
I'm beginng to think there are alot more women who aren't the typical shop till you drop type. Actually, shopping usually does make me want to drop, even after only one or two stores....I hate it!!! Especially because I'm usually shopping at thrift stores for 7 people....Yuck.I'm with you, Rhonda on the reat of your rant, too. I've decided that Fear Of man Has To Go when it comes to personal dressing. Modesty, comfort, cleanliness, and clothing in good repair are the only important things to consider in my book.
Sometimes I wish I would have been born in PNG or somewhere where clothes just aren't an issue (at all). Upon closer reflection, I suppose I'm glad I'm not, but I'm with you Rhonda... When I get there, remind me to tell you about my latest shopping experinces... oh so sad!
I agree. Shopping for clothing can be highly frustrating. But don't you think that's partly because none of us has unlimited spending money? I mean, if you could walk into Old Navy once every season (or once a month!) and buy whatever you wanted to, don't you think it would make it a pleasant experience? Or if you could choose from Gap's 200 styles of jeans, you'd be bound to find something that fits perfectly. When you're shopping in Value Village and you have a husband and kids waiting for you to try on 50 things, talk about STRESS! And speaking of modesty, have you noticed that long t-shirts and shorts are in this year?! Don't forget to stock up! :-)
Okay, I have to add my two cents! I think I agree with Robyn. Lots of money would make a difference! And not living in Red Lake, but instead actually having places to shop! I'm reduced to internet shopping once again - a risky endeavor! My two complaints right now (besides limited money and no stores...) are: 1) My post-baby, nursing figure is a real challenge to fit! AAARRRGGGGG! Then there's the color issue. It irritates me that some nameless, faceless entity gets to decide what colors are available to buy. I do not like coral and aqua. I look awful in them! Lime green and yellow, maybe. Orange, it's great for my boys, but not so much for me. Anyway, in a fit of desperation, I actually got an orange and hot pink striped shirt at Helen's this week. I'm forced to go for fit over color preferences! Well, that was more than two cents I guess... Thanks for letting me rant.
Okay, one more thing... I'm reading a little book right now called "Secret Keeper" by Dannah Gresh. It's a really good, honest, hard-hitting, "hip" book about modesty. It's written for young girls and it seems really good. I'd recommend it for anyone who has daughters - or any young girls in their life.
Can I just say that I live somewhere slightly bigger than Red Lake and do have a few shopping options, but that doesn't make it better - no, now I spend countless hours trying in vain to find what I need, rather than just going without it or ordering it online! Okay, that's all.
Post a Comment