Saturday, January 27, 2007

Books

You may know that I love reading. I know that a lot of you do, too, and so I’m going to recommend some of my favorites to you. Feel free to return the favor. :) If I wasn't so lazy, I'd link all the titles to Amazon or something, but too bad, you'll have to do it yourselves. :)

First, The Year of Miss Agnes by Kirkpatrick Hill. This is one of C’s school books, but we haven’t read it for school yet. I just picked it up the other week and read through it in a few hours. It’s a fantastic story about a girl in an Alaskan village in the ‘50’s. (Or the 40’s.) It reminded me a lot of my childhood, but I think that anyone would enjoy this book. It’s written in a way that would make a good read-aloud for kids ages 5-10, I think.

Second, Lies My Teacher Told Me, by James Loewen. This is an extremely fascinating look at how American History has been told in a way that twists facts and covers up the faults of the American heroes. I’m actually not quite done with this book (it’s not a quick read), but I think it is a real eye-opener that every North American should read. I will also add that it left me feeling betrayed by what I was taught in History textbooks, but gave me a determination to teach my kids how to evaluate what they are taught about history. I suggest using the words ‘maybe’ and ‘probably’ a lot when discussing history with your kids, thanks to this book. (P.S. Despite the fact that this book is written by a Loewen, it is not written from a Christian perspective.)

Third, The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. It’s a classic, there’s even a VeggieTales parody, and I’d never read it until a few weeks ago. The story is crude. Not the writing – the writing is that of a talented author. But in telling a story of a family of the Depression, Steinbeck hasn’t pulled any punches. He includes all the raw emotion of unpolished humanity. I enjoyed relating the story to what my grandparents went through in the Depression, even though I know (and thank God!) that their perspective on their lot in life was vastly different.

Fourth, for lightening things up a bit, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon. If you are offended by English humour, leave this one alone. It’s written from the perspective of a teenaged boy with Savant Syndrome (similar to autism) and although there were a few parts that made me choke up just a little, it’s mostly just funny. I loved the plot, and I loved the idea that metaphors are lies. I didn’t laugh my head off, even though it was hilarious.

2 comments:

rachelslab said...

I'm the first to leave a heartfelt message? You should write book reviews I think - and "Praise for ___________ by Rhonda...... " on the backs of books. It's your millions dollar calling.

Jenni said...

Hi! I'm here, just too busy or uninspired to blog right now... We just finished reading "The Year of Miss Agnes". I loved it! Now we're reading "Greek Myths". Very strange and interesting. There are so many references to mythology in our culture, but most of them I never understood because I didn't know the myths. Now I know what Pandora's box is! I feel like I'm getting a good education now. :-)