Monday, November 19, 2007

I'm so vain, I think this post is about me

Things I miss about Canada this week:

  • Robin Hood flour – especially whole wheat and unbleached
  • Reliable postal service
  • Christmas decorations that suit my taste
  • Family members to bake Christmas cookies with, and
  • Ovens big enough to bake two pans of cookies at the same time
  • Reuben sandwiches
  • Hotel rooms that are large enough for 6 people
  • Quiet snowfalls


Things I love about
Madagascar this week:

  • The weather – warm, sunny and breezy during the day
  • Watermelons and mangos
  • Seeing my kids ride their bikes whenever they have a chance
  • There are three out of three pilots present and accounted for! :)
  • There’s always something nice blooming in the garden (for instance, right now there are deep plum-coloured bachelor’s buttons – I didn’t know there was such a thing!)
  • Fresh green beans and good bananas, just like always
  • Cheap bamboo furniture for my guest room and TV area
  • My well-known BLUE faux leather furniture is being re-covered with a lovely dark brown fabric
  • My neighbour, who gave me basil seeds and her leftover roast beef :)


Things I can’t exactly say I love about
Madagascar this week:

  • Having the top pop up on the water heater, causing water to drip down into a power bar, leading to sparking, smoking and general badness while M was at church
  • Drivers who clearly have no knowledge of General Etiquette for the Roadway
  • Laws about contracts, minimum wage, health insurance, and unemployment insurance


Things that have happened recently here in
Madagascar:

  • L pulled a dining room chair over and it landed squarely on her big toe. The toe is swollen and bruised and she still cries that it hurts once or twice a day, poor baby. I’m sure the nail will come off at some point…shiver.
  • C, A and S have survived their first practise for the Christmas play they’re in, and thought it was amusing.
  • We played Risk with our friends Adam and Naomi last night and I was the biggest loser, if you know what I mean.
  • The girls made it through their week of no TV and enjoyed their brownie sundaes at the Cookie Shop. (So did the mom and dad!) We spontaneously called some friends on the way there to ask them to join us, and it was great to add them to our party.
  • We finished and sent off our Christmas newsletter so that MAF-C can print it and send it out to you for us. (If you’re not on our list and want to be, let me know.)


Books I’ve read recently (in the last few months):

  • A trilogy with the titles The Thief of Attolia, The Queen of Attolia, The King of Attolia.
  • Passage to India
  • Cheaper by the Dozen
  • Books 4, 5 and 6 of the Yada Yada Prayer Group series
  • Red Sails to Capri, Long Way Westward and others (with C for school)
  • Homesick (I highly recommend this one)
  • I’m now starting The Best of Father Brown, and enjoying it. (I’ve never read anything by G.K. Chesterton before.) I’m also reading Randy Alcorn’s book on money, the name of which escapes me at the moment.
  • The Very Hungry Caterpillar….about a thousand times.


Recipes I’ve tried in recent memory:

  • Rhubarb Spice Cake (so-so)
  • Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies (yay!)
  • Pumpkin Muffins (the ones on our recipe blog, and the ones I can’t get enough of)
  • Sloppy Joes (ok, once I added a bunch of taco seasoning)
  • Shrimp Alfredo (how can you go wrong?)

9 comments:

Jenni said...

sigh. i miss you.

i'm really happy with you about your blue furniture getting "born again"!!

and sad about L's toe and that we can't make christmas cookies together in my big (remember it?) oven!

Robyn said...

Oh I miss you too. That was so much fun to read. What else can I say.

Robyn said...

P.S. Your title cracked me up.

Anonymous said...

Love your title!

Sabrina said...

this was a great post! I take it you still like to read?? :) The "quiet snowfall" almost made me cry. The pumpkin oatmeal cookies sound great! Let me know if you post the recipe

rachelslab said...

that was phun to reed! thanx!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Thanks for the fun blog, Good hearing from you, would be so fun to have a long chat, which mean I miss you too.
Twila H

lisa said...

that WAS fun to read!!! just like everyone else just said. gives us a more indepth look at your life!!! :-) and helps us not to take things for granted over here!! I am jealous of the nice weather and something always blooming. but that must totally stink to have a small oven!!! that would drive me crazy!!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the read also! I have made pumpkin whoopie pies recently. They were a huge hit with this household!I am going to check out you pumpkin muffin recipe tho. I have heard those are really good!