Thursday, January 17, 2008

answers, part 2

My mother asks what country I/we would chose to live in for just one year. I didn’t consult with M about this, but I think we’d choose New Zealand or somewhere close to the Arctic Circle.

Again, from my mother: what career outside of my home would I choose if I didn’t have kids? Assuming that 5 years of university weren’t an issue, I’d be a pharmacist. Or a lactation consultant. Or a first grade teacher in a school with only 5-10 kids in a class. :)

Keith, one of my 8 favourite brothers-in-law, asked what I’m most looking forward to when we have our furlough in Canada later this year. It’s hard for me to answer that question, but I think I’m most looking forward to the trip M and I are planning to take to celebrate our 10th anniversary. That and poutine. :)


Angie asked what I love about Madagascar and what I would miss if I left the country. I love many things about Madagascar – the beauty of the landscape, the smiles of the people, the bountiful fruits and vegetables, the exuberance of the worship at our church, the missionary community in Tana and the fact that it never gets below about 10 C. If/when we move away, I will miss all of those things, but the thing I think of often is going back to canned or frozen fruits and vegetables. Shudder.

Amy asked me about my ability to handle hearing someone say the word flesh. I am usually capable of talking about something without visualizing what I’m talking about. For some unknown reason, I cannot say (and now I realize I can’t type it very well either) the word “flesh” without having a very disturbing mental picture. So, in answer to your question, Amy, I am coping with it better than I used to, but it still isn’t a favourite word. :) Thanks for the memories your question triggered. Good times. (It made me think of playing Euchre in the laundromat. And getting pickles from Vic. And playing Take-One.)

On to Amy’s other question: Unfortunately, it’s very easy for me to add my own drama in reaction to the girls’ drama. They are dramatic, in varying intensities, and each expresses it a little bit differently. I often make them take time-outs until they are ready to talk or act without the drama, and I am pretty strict about it when it turns to lies. (Lies like, “I’m starving!” “I caaaa-aaaan’t!!!” “She never…” “You always…”) That’s all I have to say about that. :) I’ll gladly listen to anyone else’s wisdom, should you care to share.

3 comments:

Robyn said...

Oh you are a good author. I love reading this. I wish someone would ask me questions. Sigh. I wish I was as popular as you. :-) I couldn't come up with any good questions but it's fun to read your answers. Oh here's one: Did you ever discover if Mr Frank is really allergic to nuts?

Robyn said...

P.S. It may or may not have been our imaginations.

Anonymous said...

ah yes,great memories! Tonight I had another one as I quite unexpectedly started talking to my kids as "Mrs. Mumble"! Remember that game? We had such a good time laughing I think I'm going to use that voice for the "drama"-that will snap them out of it real quick.:) I dreamt I came to visit you the other night and we went swimming.:)