Monday, February 04, 2008

Input, please.

I've been doing some thinking about what we eat, etc. So, if you can, I'd love to hear some opinions about this:

How do you manage your kids' sugar/fat/junk food intake? Do you have rules? Suggestions? What do you do? Or don't you? Spill the (low-fat, high-fiber) beans. :)

2 comments:

Robyn said...

One rule of thumb that I kind of go by is the fibre vs. fat thing. If I have purely bad chocolate chip cookies or brownies,I won't let them eat as much as I do if it's, say, oatmeal raisin cookies. Also, they have their personal stashes of candy from bday parties, etc. and I usually let them have 1 small thing a day, but lately I've been trying to even cut back on that. Also I try to make sure they always have a fruit before anything else after lunch. And of course they have to finish a meal before they have dessert, but that one's pretty obvious. It's pretty rare that I make a dessert JUST for us (without having company), but we usually have healthy muffins and sometimes cookies around. I also try to make sure that if they've already had seconds of whatever they like at the table, they have to have more vegetables if they're still hungry.
And I don't care what kind of "yucky" vegetable I make, they have to have some.

rachelslab said...

What a mean MOM!! (just kidding of course) I have bad memories of chewing moose meat forever and still not being able to get it down so I'd sneak into the bathroom and spit it out.