Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Exciting times!

Last night, in honour of Canada Day, our neighbours joined us for supper. (My Canadian spelling in that last sentence didn't sit well with spell-check.) I'm so excited to say that we ate poutine! (My only idea for truly Canadian food.) And it was good! :) We felt so patriotic.

It just occurred to me that some readers might not know of the deliciousness that is poutine. Here's the complicated recipe: I ordered fries, grated cheese and mixed up a package of instant gravy mix. I layered the fries and cheese on a cookie sheet and put it in the oven to melt the cheese. Then we passed the gravy at the table. I'd love to know if that's the first time you've ever heard of poutine.

I felt so guilty thinking of my mom's heart attack while eating poutine, cheese/refried bean dip and chips, and then having Nanaimo bars for dessert. I promise that does NOT represent our normal eating habits.

What would you consider Canadian food?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the first time I have EVER heard of poutine... sounds... interesting! Incase you're interested, have never heard of Nanaimo bars either!!!!

Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, poutine definitely but also bannock, bannock dogs,and bannock burgers. I'm sure I could think of more but I really must go exercise while I have the time!

Jenni said...

how about smokies over the fire? yum, grease! :-)

Robyn said...

Funny thing. It's never occured to me to eat Canadian food on Canada Day. Poutine sounds great!

Anonymous said...

Yup, definitely the first time I've heard of poutine. I have seen people eating fries with gravy, but I thought it was a southern thing. . . .guess not :)!! Janice

Anonymous said...

I took a kleenex and wiped the keys, yum,yum.
Twila

Jim said...

What kinda spell checker do you have, anyway? Time to correct your spell checker!

Canadian food - there's the common and more obscure. Some things would be maple syrup, fiddleheads, butter tarts, caribou, moose, bran muffins, and of course the doughnut.

Compared to here in Mexico, Canadians like casseroles, roast beef (with yorkshire pudding) . . . and of course there's common ethnic food that's popular in parts of Canada, like pirogies or curry.

Compared to the USA, a lot of food is similar, but overall the diet is quite different. Healthier, generally. Burgers are MUCH bigger in the USA, for example.

This is making me hungry! But my cheese quesadillas for lunch were good. ;)

(Full disclosure: We had spaghetti and tossed salad on Canada Day. And chocolate cake.)