Friday, January 30, 2009

oh the cabin fever...

So, we've basically been in our house this week, except for Matthew going to work most days and me going out to hunt down our groceries two different times. It's been a little hard on me to feel trapped in the house, but at the same time we are getting a lot of schoolwork done. :) (There's always a silver lining, right?)
Things seem to have calmed down for the most part, but there are demonstrations scheduled for the center of town tomorrow. We'll see how that goes. I'm praying for peace this weekend and hoping that my prayers aren't too selfish!
Tonight the MAF staff are getting together for supper, so that will be a welcome change of surroundings!
Thank you for all of your supportive comments on the last post...I feel much better about things, overall. I will be very excited about getting the girls into school finally...they could really use a little variety in their days, too! :)
Oh, if anyone has any exciting ideas about how to make our food stretch as far as possible, I'm all ears. :) So far we have plenty to eat, but it's going to be very different combinations than what we're used to if the stores don't reopen soon!

8 comments:

rachelslab said...

Hey, thanks for the update... hope your cabin fever lessens and the food and fellowship is really good.

Robyn said...

Getting together with a group of people sounds really, really fun to me right now! I used lentils in place of beef for tacos the other night. Kids didn't know the difference...

Jenni said...

hey! i'm praying for peace...

Sabrina said...

Hi Rhonda, I hope things start to look up for you. I appreciate your honesty. I've been doing some weird meals since we've been at Rosedale. It kind of feels like we're on a camping trip that never ends.

Anonymous said...

yes! that's it exactly Sabrina...perpetual camping. it's kind of fun to see what i can come up with, but a little frustrating at the same time. my meat supply is LOW, so that is making it a challenge. i think we'll be eating a lot of eggs. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhonda, I was here and Wish I could be there to visit in your little cabin with you. =) You could even serve me eggs and I wouldn't complain. Hmm...You could have creamed eggs over toast. I like to make that after easter when we have lots of hard boiled eggs. You could alos make egg curry and use hard boiled eggs in place of meat. (Just leave them whole in the sauce so the yolk doesn't disinegrate.) You could make tortillas and then make egg burritoes. We love those.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhonda,
Continuing praying for peace, that is very scriptural, and I'll pray that for you as well. It was a pleasure having your parents here, almost like family! I don't know if you have any hamburger or ground beef available, but I saw a recipe that I'd like to try. It is a meatloaf that uses cabbage and a little meat. The recipe uses 1/2 lb. ground beef, 3 cups shredded cabbage, 1 green bell pepper, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 Tbsp. dried onion flakes, and 1/2 tsp. caraway seeds (opt.) Shape into a loaf and serve with ketchup or chili sauce. This recipe is for a slow cooker, and you are to bake it for 3-4 hrs. on high. Another idea if you have eggs maybe you can make pancakes. I like to try different kinds of pancake recipes which I find on-line. My current favorite is pumpkin waffles/ pancakes. I've also made pancakes featureing millet, quinoa (sp?), and corn flour. Survey what kind of grains you have available and start looking on-line. I also grind my own millet using my oyster blender. This works very well though I only grind about a cup at a time. Blessings to you, Tammy

Anonymous said...

Did you get to go to church today?