Sunday, January 18, 2009

sleepless in madagascar

I’m sitting here in the dark. The power just went off (welcome back to Madagascar, Rhonda) and I decided to start typing while I wait for the lights to come back.

We’ve been back less than 24 hours, and it is so good to be back. I’m having plenty of “oh, yeah, I forgot things are like that” moments. And I kind of feel like I have to re-learn how to be the wife/mother/one-in-charge-of-a-lot-of-things person again! It’s been a long time since I’m the sole person in charge of domestic things. :) But we have excellent neighbours and friends who are welcoming us back, and the weather is beautiful, and we’re going to settle in. Sooner or later. :)

And my bougainvillea is blooming. That alone made my day!

We’re slowly getting unpacked, and I’m looking forward to getting our schedule/routine ironed out in the weeks to come. I’m hoping to officially begin school next Monday. I think one week is enough time to get settled in...

Random bits of nothing:
*Going through Paris-CDG makes me feel like a rat in a maze. I think that we are probably secretly being analyzed when we go through that airport, as part of some vast, twisted experiment.
*On one of our flights we had chickpea and tuna salad. Amazingly enough, I loved it and wish that I could make it.
*I’m so glad that I can go from -35C to 26C, instead of the other way around.
*The girls are hilarious. They go around the house finding things and enthusiastically exclaim over them. “OH!! The forks and knives!” “Wow!! I remember this toilet!” “Hey look! It’s our couch!” It’s really wonderful to see them so happy to be so at home. They slept so well last night, in their OWN beds. :)
*Lest you think that because I said the girls slept well, it means we have no jet lag, let me just say this: They slept between 2 and 11 am. :) A good sleep, but sadly, not during accepted sleeping hours.
*Sierra uses the word “accordingly” a lot. Most of the time it’s not used properly.
*Mme Pauline stopped in to say hi today and told me I’m fat. I’m trying hard to remember that she’s probably jealous. It’s hard to forget how amazed she was. Ha. :) Here’s hoping she doesn’t have to be amazed for long.
*Matthew and I were going to watch a movie until we felt like going to sleep, but the power still isn’t back on. Bummer.
*It was fun to dig out shorts and t-shirts for the girls today. Not so much fun for me. (See comment two points up.)
*When Kirk came to visit us he raved about the Coke here and how good it is. I didn’t know what he meant until now. The Coke here is far superior to Coke in Canada. Too bad it’s not good for you.
*It’s now 1:00 am. I can’t sleep. :( We watched the movie, I dozed off, then woke up and can’t go back to sleep. Yet. :)

8 comments:

rachelslab said...

Good see you again on here! Accordingly, it's also good to know that you are safe and sound. Accordingly, I should hope you are able to sleep soon, although that would mean you would stop chatting with me online.

Jenni said...

hi! i'm trying to wrap my brain around you having been here, and now you're just GONE again. for a long time. and very far away. i started crying about it the other night. not sure i'm done yet. anyway, i'm glad that you are all glad to be back and i do wish you a speedy journey to the land of routine and sleeping well!

Jenni said...

my word verification was just "faterso". i think it means "i'm fatter than you, so don't worry about it too much."

Anonymous said...

It's good to hear you made it home safely. Enjoy the warm for all of us. : ) It's been nearly as cold as RL here in OH.

NomadatHeart said...

Oh!!! I've been waiting and waiting and praying you and your family safely home to Mada. Thanks for sharing the adventures!

And my verification word is "aphake". I'll try not to take it personally. I think it's Japanese for "a fake". Sleep tight!! love, carol

Robyn said...

Rhonda...maybe you would have better sleep success if you wait to sample the Mada Coke until you're over jet lag...Just a thought. :-) Most of all I'm happy for you to have your kids home (I just mean it makes me happy to think about kids in their own beds and happy to see all their stuff), cause I know the feeling. Since we're talking about our word verifications, mine is PERTI. So don't worry if you're faterso or phake, yer PERTI.

Unknown said...

O.K., I'm still at your bro.-in-laws, but got on here and it really is wonderful to know you're there safely once more. Hope everyone will soon feel well settled, etc. Just to prove I'm slow in commenting, my wrd.verf. says, "polkeega" which interpreted means I'm pokey. Enjoy the sunshine and flowers for me!(From MOM on Dad's computer!)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. . .love hearing of your adventurous life. I already can't wait to see you again. Maybe next time it will include us going to Mada. Not likely, but maybe.