Saturday, February 21, 2009

Wait and see

The one problem with getting up early all week is that I can't shut it off on the weekends, even if the alarm isn't set. :( Oh well. It's quiet, peaceful and cool at this time of the day, so I guess that's good.

The political situation is continuing. It's getting stranger and a little more 'exciting' now that the president has taken some action to reinforce the idea that he is still the leader of this country. We keep saying we'll wait and see how things go. "Waiting and seeing" is a strange way to live life and I don't think that we are fully aware of the stress it adds.

In our first term here, we only left Madagascar as a family (M traveled for MAF sometimes) to go to Canada for our mid-term break. Before our furlough, we decided that wasn't wise and that in this 2-year stretch we are going to take a trip somewhere at about the halfway point. Of course, we didn't know then that there would be this stress of political unrest. I am thanking God that we have that holiday to look forward to and that He gave us the idea for the timing, because He knew! He knew that this would be a tiring year. I feel like I have a little extra stamina for these days because I know we aren't here without an end in sight.

Thanks for all of your thoughts and ideas about the jelly. If I microwave it for a few seconds it's at least not chewy. :) I made bread yesterday, so we'll have to give it a try.

Today we have a new MAF family coming for lunch and then we have a MAF barbeque this evening. Should be enough to keep us busy for one day. :)

I have been working at still more junk-tossing, and frankly, I am very discouraged about it. I feel like for everything I throw away or give away, 5 more come in to take its place. :( The girls bring home crafts and/or papers from school, girls' club, Jr Church, and make more in between. And 75% of those things are very special to them. I've taken to being very sneaky and throwing them away when they aren't looking, but that feels deceptive. Any advice? I'm ready to really get rid of junk, but it feels like I'm fighting a losing battle. (The crafts/paper issue is just one example...)

Well, on that cheery note, I'm off. :) Have a good weekend!

4 comments:

Rita said...

I can't remember where I read about this, but someone suggested taking pictures of the kids artwork. And you could have a folder on your computer for each child. Of course back ups are important. It takes up very little space, and still the memory is there to look at often.

Sabrina said...

I was going to suggest the same thing your mom wrote. Take a picture, have them write a story about it and scrakbook the pictures.

Robyn said...

I only save the stuff that I think is special - whether it's a good drawing or something significant (like a homemade gift or a love note to me or D). Then, they have to choose what they want, and they can only keep what fits into their personal "keep" binder, or their Rubbermaid bin of "special stuff".

Anonymous said...

I actually have a portfolio (an old one from Conrad's art class days) that I keep special papers and art in. I try to keep a sample of their art work and writing skills at different levels. EVERYTHING else is thrown away when they're not looking. I am the queen of throwing away! And I don't feel one bit guilty about it. And I have yet to regret throwing something. My house is far from spotless, but the paper-clutter is really not much of an issue. Now, about Polly Pocket shoes, that's a whole other issue. . .