Thursday, March 29, 2007

Did you know???

(I posted this on our family website a few weeks ago, but decided to post it here, too.)


…that MAF Madagascar is helping an organization called HoverAid to get started in Madagascar?

…that HoverAid operates hovercrafts as a means of relief and development?

…that we mix French and Malagasy words into our English without trying and that our English grammar is worse than it’s ever been?

…I can buy fresh pineapple all year, but the apples aren’t always so great?

…I almost never buy canned green beans because we can always buy fresh ones?

…we have Malagasy drivers’ licenses?

…that shopping for meat (even in the supermarkets) can make me nervous? I often eye it up and go home without the meat I came for?

…it gets dark here by 7:00 PM and light by 5:30 AM?

…we have people coming to our door to sell us things (firewood) or canvass for donations (Boy Scouts)?

…every day I think to myself that it’s a miracle that I didn’t hit that guy on the motorbike (or bicycle or on foot)?

…every day I think it’s a miracle that that taxi-be driver didn’t hit me?

…a taxi-be is a mini bus and a vital part of public transportation here?

…that it’s never totally quiet here? There are birds, a sawmill, frogs, crickets, a pig, cars, people talking and many other noises outside our windows, not to mention that it’s usually windy!

…I had only seen 2 horses since I got here until last week? There are dogs, chickens, zebus and cats on the road, but horses are rare.

…that 18 C can feel really chilly when your house isn’t airtight?

…that we buy cards to recharge our internet and cell-phone credit?

…I stood in line at the bank for 50 minutes in order to withdraw some money?

…there were only about 8 people in front of me at that bank?

…that the biggest bill here is 10,000 ariary or about $5-6?

…that most vendors here will not have change for that bill, and many won’t have change for 5,000 ariary, either?

…that there are seasons here, even though they aren’t as distinct as in most of North America?

…that my girls think that Canada is a place of perpetual fun?

…I can buy real Canadian maple syrup here for an almost reasonable price?

…that my girls were amazed that I had never eaten a litchi until I came to Madagascar?

…that we can buy oatmeal and Worcestershire sauce now, but can’t get corn syrup or ‘regular’ mustard?

…that we have guests in our home almost once a week who are in Madagascar on business with MAF? (Either MAF staff from another country or visitors to the programme.)

…we host our homegroup from church every Wednesday evening?

…we have lots of friends here working with other organizations?

…that we buy firewood months before we need it (or save some from the year before) so that it has a chance to dry out enough to burn?

…our church, Vision Valley, has begun construction on the auditorium? It’s projected to be finished on August 18.

…we’ve been meeting for church in a tent for about 6 months now?

…I have roses blooming in my yard?

…we are amazed at how many people care about what we’re doing?

…we are thankful for our financial supporters who are so generously making it possible for us to stay here?

…it humbles us to think that you pray for us and our needs?

…we love to hear from you, too?

…it actually makes us less homesick to have news from ‘back home’? (most of the time, anyway!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. It gives a glimpse into the little stuff (and sometimes not-so-little) that makes each country, and even homes, unique. Sometimes I start thinking your life is probably not much different than mine - besides the fact that you have a husband and 4 kids of course. : ) But obviously lots of things are different, and it blesses and encourages me to see how you've adjusted to those differences!