This morning I went out to drop Aimee and Sierra off at school, buy groceries and an internet card, drop off a memory stick to have photos printed, and buy whole wheat flour. The traffic was somewhat worse than normal, but all went fairly smoothly until I got to the flour mill. (Call me Little Red Hen.) In all fairness to the mill’s employees, it still went fairly smoothly. We just have vastly different ideas about how things ought to proceed when someone (me) wants to buy whole wheat flour.
First off, I parked in a spot that wasn’t meant for me, outside of a door I wasn’t meant to go in. So I moved. Then I went in to the right door. But the receptionist was busy, so I took a seat. It felt a little like waiting in a Dr’s waiting room, but there weren’t any magazines. Sadly. When she called me over to her desk, I confirmed that I was there to do business, and she confirmed that I could indeed buy whole wheat flour, but the minimum is 50 kg. I had suspected this, so it wasn’t a huge shock, but still 50 kg. Wow.
Next she printed a receipt for me on a printer that made that rrr-t-t-t-t-t-rrrrr sound from the late 80s and had those lines of holes down the sides of the paper. While that took a minute or so to print one page, she wrote a receipt as well. To cover the bases, I guess. I signed the paper and sealed the deal. Or did I?
Next I went to pay the lady at the next desk. I paid about 70 cents a kilo, I think. Is that good? After she took the printed receipt to be signed by some higher-up, I signed again, sealing the deal and confirming my commitment and loyalty to my 50 kgs of whole wheat flour. Maybe.
I returned the receipt to the first lady, who kindly stapled my two papers together, gave me a third paper and sent me over to the warehouse to collect my long-awaited flour. Sweet flour, how I long to see you.
A man greeted me at the door of the warehouse, but alas. He passed my paper on to another man with one of those razor-thin “beards”, but that doesn’t have any bearing on things. This man asked me to come into his office, where he wrote up a receipt for me. This paper included pertinent information, such as the area of town I live in and my license plate number. One can never be too careful when selling flour. I signed this paper, certainly cementing my relationship to the flour.
At this sweet moment in time, another man appeared, burdened down by the 50 kg bag of whole wheat flour on his head. I skipped merrily over to my car, unlocked the back door and clapped with glee as he placed it into my possession. I blew him kisses as I drove toward the gate. At long last, my dear flour, we’re on our way home. Or are we?
At the gate, the guard came and asked to see my papers. He took them, looked in my back window, copied something from my papers into his little book, gave them back to me, and wished me a good day. I sighed as I drove out on to the road.
I’m still sighing, actually.

15 comments:
Wow, license plate #!!. . are you sure there was only flour in that bag :)? After all that, I hope your baking turned out fabulous! Janice
Wow, I hope you put that to good use. I wonder what they thought you were going to do with it. :)
Very creative Rhonda. How long did it take you to write that little story? It's almost as good as the year you told us all you were prego. and you weren't. Happy Day to you too!
i laughed. then i read iris' comment. hmmm. what about the year matthew called from three hills to tell me you were pregnant, and then said april fools. then at the end of the conversation he said you really were. huh. that time the joke was on you. it was twins!! love ya!
it's all true! i know you probably won't believe this, but i didn't even remember it was april 1st until i had posted it and saw the date! ok, the parts about me skipping, clapping and blowing kisses isn't true, but i didn't mean to be deceitful, only to make a point...
sigh. i guess this is what i get for crying wolf last year, eh?
That is hilarious. Is it at least better flour than the stuff you buy in the store? What did you bake? This was good laughter for my day.
Wow. So when I found out that this actually wasn't made up I went back and read it along again with an open mind verses a sceptical one. wow. May I just wish you and your hard earned four amny happy moments together in the kitchen. Until you put the flour in the oven. That's not so happy for the flour. Or the eating part but by then it won't care anymore. So eat and be merry!!
How do you paln to keep that much whole wheat flour fresh during the hot summer until you get it consummed? I had flour go bad (not buggy just bad) on me last summer and we don't even have the hot weather you do. My bread texture was terrible and it tasted awful once it was a day or two old. Just warning you so you don't lose any of that precious stuff!
I'm so gullible. I didn't even entertain the thought that you might be pulling our proverbial legs. Great story!
I believed the whole thing too, Rachie, with nary a hint of being deceived so I'm gullible with ya. But oh. my. word. What a process! Just look at all the people who had "jobs" as a result of all the bureaucracy. Of course, the pay would probably be kinda low if the product is only $.70/kg! Fascinating world.
i'm selling a bunch of it, and freezing the rest. so far i've sold 20 kgs, so it should be fine. (I only really wanted about 10-15 for myself...)
so, rachel and bethany, i'm unclear about whether you did believe it or not? you do, right?
and bethany, you're right. it does provide jobs. that is the only upside that i can see...
wow! they take their flour seriously.
I can totally picture it! Laughed my head off and had to read it out to Kevin when he came home.
Ahhh... Madagascar. How I miss you and your tedious & excessive overprocessing.
And now I live in Canada where excessiveness is just shown in different ways... like 22 sizes and types of mayonaise.
But can you believe that after less than a year, I had already forgotten that you might freeze the flour? My brain must be experiencing some type of malfunction b/c I had frozen flour in my freezer every year that I lived there... Specially imported flour too, I might add.
Enjoy. By the way, i've lost my beloved copy of your cinnamon bun recipe that was hand written and said, "think of me when you make these" at the top. My heart is broken. Can you you email it to me? It won't be the same without the handwritten bit, but i will be far less likely to lose it, and therefore WILL think of you more frequently. Ironic.
Miss you.
Erin
Hi Rhonda-
Your story made me think of the Veggie Tale Cheeseburger song. "My precious wheat flour, my precious wheat flour, I'll wait for yo-u, I'll wait for yo-u..." Ok, so maybe I'm strange. But it did give me a good smile to start my day.
yes, I believe you and believed you all along. I'm more trusting than soem other people who read your blog apparently.
Post a Comment